Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DIFFERENCCE BETWEEN WEDGE GATE VALVES AND SLAB GATE VALVES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mmm, thanks for the link but I already have a quotation for slab gate valves from that company. My client asked to me a list with the differencces between a M&J valve ( Slab gate valve) and Walworth (wedge gate valve)

Well, that's not what you asked before now, is it?

OK, here's the walworth

The basic difference, as you can see now, is one seals against leakage using a force applied to a wedging action against the valve in a downward direction, the other seals by line pressure pushing the slab horizontally against the edge seal, I believe it has springs for secure sealing at low pressure. Call up the reps and they will be all too happy to come in and tell you the advantages of each.

I don't have experience with Walworth valves, but I can say M&J are good valves.

Going the Big Inch! [worm]

yes, I know m&j valves I already bought some swing check fullport valves.

Also i'm a client of AIVINC.

where are you from biginch?

i'm from Mexico city.

Thank you for all your help

De nada paisana, Soy tejano (Laredo), pero sali el EEUU hace muchisimos años. Ahorra vivo en españa, hace cuatro años y mi encanta. Tengo muchos recuerdos de Cozumel, Merida y Tamulipas. Bueno, si te puedo ayudar en cualquier cosa, con mucho gusto. Busca mi direccion en mi pagina web, abajo <perfil>. Luego y Saludos

Slab gate valves are also usually more expensive than wedgegate valves.

From anecdotal evidence (ie hearsay), wedge gate valves can get "stuck" more often than a slab gate. I am guessing that "gunk" can get into the bottom of the seat, and not allowing the wedge to seal tightly.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Ash, what you hear is true. Since its an applied force that squeezes the wedge onto the sealing surface, it also squeezes any contents inbetween and, if its sitting there for awhile, it can be difficult to get moving when you try opening. But, wedges seal better than slabs at low pressures as a rule, which have made for some mfgrs providing auxiliary sealing systems in their slabs to compete with the wedge's LP sealing characteristics.

Can't top entry this one,

When the valve is being opened, the wedge moves up into the bonnet area. The line contents and pressure follow it. When the valve is closed, some contents and pressure remain in the bonnet area. The Stuffing (5) stops the contents & pressure from leaking. If the bonnet is removed by withdrawing bolts (6), there is open line pressure. The wedge will fly out. Major leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back