Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Applications--Drafting and File - New - Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgnx

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2018
DE
Hi,

There are two ways to create a drawing

1. ctrl + shift + D or Application - Drafting ....Here drawing is created within model file. both have only one file.
2. File - New - Drawing. -- Here separate drawing file is created.

Whats the difference between these two? why in second option, a new drawing file is created and not in first option?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, in the first situation, you're simply switching from one application to another.

While in the second situation, you're creating a totally new file, which just happens to start in the Drafting application, but where the heretofore Work Part is now the 'Master Model', that is the original part file is NOW a first level Component in an Assembly in the new Drawing file.

While it's possible to create a Part Model and have the Drawing data be part of that SAME part model, that is, everything is in the a SINGLE part file, that's NOT the way NX was designed to work at its best. The second situation above is the preferred approach, and long term, it will reap the most benefits in terms of flexibility and overall system performance, particularly if you're designing and manufacturing complex products with multiple parts and configurations and options. Also if you're doing your manufacturing and have to create machine tool paths, fixtures, castings, forgings, in-process models, etc. Also, if you're going to be doing any kind of analysis, like FEA or Heat Transfer or Fluid Dynamics, working in the Master Model mode is really the only way to go and still expect to get reasonable size models files with consistent and acceptable performance.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

In the second approach (MMMC),

one disadvantage i found is to open the drawing file, i need to go to the location and chose the drawing file separately. i.e the drawing file is not connected to part model as it has different name than part model. This problem is even bigger in case part model and drawing are in different location.

But in First approach, part model and drawing within same file. so simply ctrl + shift + D will open the drawing.

Is there any shortcut key to open in second approach as well?

There is no shortcut to do this. If you want this functionality then you will have to write a program for that.

In one of the newer NX versions there should be a function (or at least I know it is planned) which will load the drawing for the 3D part you have opened at that moment.
I do not know which version that is though.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Of course, if you're using Teamcenter to manage your data files, this works much better.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back