Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Cable tray and cable structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victa1288

Electrical
Apr 18, 2006
CA
I am currently working in a Russsian project. As per Russian Code PUE. Power cables larger than 3x16mm2 should be with at least 1 diameter spacings in a cable structure. Based on this, there would be a huge amount of cable trays.

Some of my collegues are saying that cable tray is same as cable structure. I don't think so.

According to the definition by PUE, a cable structure is a structure designed for installation of cables, cable sleeves, and oil-feeding units and other equipment designed to provide normal operation of oil filled cable lines. Cable structures include cable tunnels, cannals, ducts and blocks, shafts, floors, flors, double floors, cable ramps, galleries, chambers and feeding stations.

My understanding is that cable tray is defferent from cable structure, which is enclosed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe you are playing word games with a translation. “is a structure designed for installation of cables” this would be my definition of cable tray.

I am not clear what size cable is? 16mm^2 (>#6) or 48mm^2 (>#1) or are you talking about a multi-conductor cable (>3 conductors or >16mm^2 wire) that would be what I would try to clarify.

Either way Russians do tend to build things big.

This pretty well sums it up;
According to the definition by PUE, a cable structure is a structure designed for installation of cables, cable sleeves, and oil-feeding units and other equipment designed to provide normal operation of oil filled cable lines. Cable structures include cable tunnels, cannals, ducts and blocks, shafts, floors, flors, double floors, cable ramps, galleries, chambers and feeding stations.
A cable tray is one possible type of cable support structure.
respectfully

Hi,

Cable tray isn't a cable structure. There is a definition for the cable tray in PUE paragraph 2.1.11. See also 2.3.102-2.3.112.Where did you find conditions about cables larger than 3x16mm2? There is a table ? 2.3.1. but in the table I have found only 3x25mm2 cables.

Thank you guys. It will help me a lot.

But PUE 2.1.11 only taks about Chute not cable tray. Unfortunately, we missed 2.3.102-2.3.112.

Hi
In you first post you've quoted 2.3.3. from PUE chapter 2.3.
If it is so, you problem is the translation.
Could you quote the definition for a cable chute?

Hi,

If you have a lot of cables and cannot accommodate the requirement, then you should rethink the distribution, maybe instead of so many cables, have one of 240mm² that terminates into to a panel board, from which the 16mm² cables go. You save some $ by replacing the "n" 16mm² by one, but you lose $$ for the panel board and the circuit breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back