Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between UG and ProE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This type of question will start a war!

Simple answer is Nothing. they will both create your parts and produce drawings based on the models.

Complex answer requires more questions as to what type of business/parts do you create, how large is your company, etc.

I have both systems. The last UG version I use is NX1. I have just started to play with WF2.

I still prefer UG for most things as it is more flexible in getting the job done with fewer workarounds and a lot less mouse clicks. UG is easier to customize as you don't need to be a C programer.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Depends on the application and intended use.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I use ProE(2001),UG(NX2) Catia(V4 & V5) and find ProE the most user friendly.In my opinion even to create simple parts ProE is the best tool.

caruana, does any of your designs envolve Class A surfacing? Not having used ProE except to view data, I have only heard of a lack of surfacing capability. I didn't mean to open that can of worms but it is an issue.

From what I know, the advantage that UG has is that you can work in a very parameterized world or not. ProE has to live ONLY in the parameterized world. For some, this is the biggest factor in using UG over ProE.

Ross Parpart
Product Design Engineer

On the subject or class A surfaces, Pro/E can class A just like the others. I have used CATIA 4 and 5 and UG and have determined that Pro/E does not lack in surfacing. You can make curves tangent, make continues curvatures, make surfaces tangent, be influenced by neighboring surfaces. I have been on CATIA V4 for sense 1985 and Pro/E sense 1997. When I started my business, I looked at all the major CAD software and I noted that Pro/E outperformed everyone else using a PC. I have determined that PRO/E is my system of choice base off easy of use and realiability. I have employees that mentally can manage parametrics but can model using lines and circle and surfaces ex. CATIA V4. It takes them longer but it can be done. They don't have the mental capacity to understand Pro/E. CATIA V5, sense I have been force to lease one seat and use it, I have determined that the reason Dessault Systemes purchased Solidworks, which we all know the original programmers were from PTC, is CATIA V5 is way underdeveloped. Notice how many releases of CATIA V5. It's a sure sign that CATIA V5 has to many improvements to parametrically compete with PTC. PRO/E is where it's at. Texaspete.

Not sure what the number of releases has to do with a software fitting one's needs, but I feel Ben & SoCalSwami's statements are pretty much right on target.

If you like having everything in a logical order, lots of intuition & working with parametrics, then go for Pro/E.

If you want something that is flexible & allows for many different modeling approaches, then go for UG.

Personally, I feel you get more bang for the buck with UG, especially in the area of support. You may wish to look at which industries currently use the major CAD softwares out there & you might get an idea of which is preferred for your particular product(s).

I'm guessing there's a reason Pro/E doesn't dominate the auto & aerospace industries, but you won't get one from a Pro/E loyalist.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

We don`t design the Class A surfaces ourselves but we receive them from our customers but we build what`s behind the A surfaces which also involves a lot of surface/curves work and I agree with Texaspete said.

texaspete,
I follow your post about 1/2 way through then it gets confusing...

texaspete said:
I have determined that PRO/E is my system of choice base off easy of use and realiability... I have employees... They don't have the mental capacity to understand Pro/E.

So, either Pro/E IS hard to use? or you just saying that you hire dumb people?

I can't say anything good or bad about Pro/E as I have never used it, I'm just trying to understand your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back