Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Difference between X65QO and X65Q SMLS pipes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2017
GB
Hello!

Project engineer demands SMLS API 5L X65QO PSL2 (appendix J edition 44) delivered to the site, but all the suppliers have in stock SMLS API 5L X65Q PSL2 with dimensional tolerances as per API 5L tables 10+11.

Can someone please help me to understand what is the actual difference between X65QO and X65Q? I understand that O stands for Offshore service, but what does it actually involve?

Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to get a copy of 5L and look at appendix J.

Your project Engineer also needs to define which out of the multiple ( a to ll) clauses applies to your design and also in many cases what the requirement is, e.g. Carbon equivalent.

Simply saying pipe to X65QO means nothing without specifying all your actual requirements and which of the clauses you want to apply. API 5L is NOT like a material standard (e.g. A105), it is a specification with many many choices of what you want - in a lot of cases there is no "default" value.

So you really need to get a materials engineer involved in the conversation to make sense of it all ( plus 80 -120 hours of his time).

So your question cannot be answered. Only be looking at what you actually want / need and comparing it ot what the supplier is offering can you make any judgements. At the moment it doesn't sound like you know what you want?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@LittleInch

Thank you very much!

You are right, I do not know what I (and the project engineer) really need, due to little knowledge of the application requirements and how those application requirements correspond with API 5L requirements/specifications. We already had couple of conversations about the subject and I don't have to be Mr Holmes to understand that project engineer is trying to evade the subject due to lack of knowledge/experience/understanding.

Basically, we need to supply X65QO pipes (various sizes) from stock, but we have only a small portion of the items required. Project engineer doesn't want to provide any more information, doesn't want to accept that to manufacture X65QO from scratch it would take a lot of time and there is a minimum batch per size and he doesn't want to accept any alternative...

I think the only thing left to do is to organize a meeting that will involve project engineer and commercial/procurement director supported by technical director from the end user side.

Where do you come into the picture here?

Doesn't sound like you're the end client, but are you contractor, supplier, stockist ??

Is there a project materials line pipe specification available from the client / person specifying the pipe?

If not you're in trouble....

Saying you want X65QO is like going into a clothes shop and saying you want some "nice trousers" without specifying colour, size, cut, type of cloth, inside leg, pockets with or without buttons, how many pockets....

I am the contractor/supplier.

Is there a project materials line pipe specification available from the client / person specifying the pipe? - only full specification is SMLS X65QO PSL 2 API 5L (appendix J edition 44) and geometrical specification of required positions.

The order is very straightforward when it comes to sizes, lengths, diameters and schedule.

My problem at the moment is that I am not able to convince the project engineer to accept X65Q instead of X65QO, in my (obviously wrong) understanding the difference was in schedule tolerances, but now I can see that the issue is much more information demanding.

The only thing I can suggest is that you send to the PE the 2 pages in Appendix J which list the provisions which the Purchaser shall specify for the particular pipe for offshore and ask them to let you know which ones apply and what the values are for the ones which apply ( this is when he or she say "all of them").

only other thing you ~(or maybe your supplier) can do is go through the list of items in app J and see if you can show that the pipe you have meets the requirements. Then you can have a deviation list to supply to the PE.

Or tell him or her what the time delay and cost impact is going to be for them to wait for the QO pipe to be made.

Also ask your customer if X65Q can be used and if additional testing could be used to in effect make the X65Q into X65QO. If you must purchase X65QO from the Mill or a Warehouse supplier, advise the customer and your PE of the delay involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back