Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference betwen Inconel 625 and 626lcf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinzzzz

Materials
Mar 24, 2009
IT
Hi to all,

I have a question for materials based on Nikel Alloys.
I have to select a nikel alloy to construct bellows (thermal expansion joint) and i found that there are two different type of Inconel 625:

- grade 2 as per ASTM A443 (hot worked in sheets;
- 626 lcf (worked in special condition in order to make hi performancies for fatigue);

so my question is which are the differencies between the two materials?

Thanks a lot, regards Vincenzo.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A few minutes with google gave the following. Looks like it is a low-carbon controlled version of regular 625.

U.S patent 4765956.

from the patent:

"SUMMARY OF INVENTION

It has now been discovered that the low cycle and thermal fatigue life of alloys described herein can be markedly improved provided the carbon, nitrogen and silicon contents are controlled and correlated such that the sum of the % carbon+% nitrogen+1/10% silicon does not exceed about 0.04% and is preferably not greater than about 0.035%. Moreover, low cycle and thermal fatigue is further enhanced if the alloys are processed by vacuum induction melting followed by electroslag refining. "

lcf is a low residual alloy with ESR melting. It also has a highly controlled grain size. It does not have much better high cycle fatigue strength, but it has much better low cycle fatigue properties.
The alloy has to be made correctly and fabricated very carefully.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Most if not all expansion joint bellows are designed are for low cycle fatigue (thermal/mechanical) applications in process service conditions. I have never seen bellows used for high cycle fatigue service. I would run a cost benifit analysis and compare with Inconel 625.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back