Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Difference in DN size and actual bore in ball valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDS_21

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2017
IN
Hey I got a question. I can't understand why my supplier is giving me a bit different bore when I ordered a full bore ball valve design?
I got a bore of 11.6 mm in a 1/4"(DN8) full bore ball valve, 12.5 mm in a 3/8"(DN10) full bore ball valve and 24 mm in a 1"(DN25) full bore ball valve.
And in higher sizes like 2"(DN50), 3"(DN80) and 4"(DN100) the bore was 50 mm, 80 mm and 100 mm so that matches the full bore DN size values.
So is there any standard which allows the manufacturers to give these bore instead of actual full bore sizes in smaller sizes?
Or giving a bore of 8 mm in 1/4" valve is difficult considering design aspects?
Hope I defined my problem clearly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the smaler sizes valves there is quite common to see the deviations you mention. In most cases this will have no or very small practical consequences. The reasons for the deviations are often manufacturing cost/strength/machining simplifications.

(Side remark: for solenoid valves most often for instance 1/4" describes the connection pipesize, but bore could be 2mm or less)

To my knowledge there is no standard 'allowing' this. (?)

If you have ordered full bore valves (and not company X's model Y full bore, which is somewhat less) you might have a claim.

oh thanks @drexl
Can you provide a picture of the table representing the minimum diameter for full bore?
Thanks in advance.

I think that according EN 17 a full bore valve is that with a bore diameter up to 90% of the nominal (DN 25 --> 22,5. DN 100 --> 90 mm, DN 200 --> 180 mm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back