Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

different colour for instances of family 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PTC documentation will tell you that you can't, but I am convinced that it is possible. There has to be a way with parameters and relations - maybe keying on the number of characters in each instance name, even. I have not yet found out how, though. When I do, you can bet it will be posted here.

Recneps

I would agree with recneps.
Here is my brain fart:

You should check out TPI ID#14349. This may give you some ideas. It pertains a similar issue with mass properties calculations in family tables for individual instances.

Is there a system variable for colour?
If there is, BINGO!

Here is a quick run thru:

-Make a parameter in the family table.
-Make a relation to set this parameter to desired intstance colour.
-Assemble all instances into a assembly ( instance placement is irrelevant).
-Edit the assembly Pro/Program to force a regen.
this should re-evaluate the colour parameter for each instance in the assembly.

dear friend,
you asked me to create a parameter & set this to desired color. But in pro/e when you set the color of any part,name of color is not stored as parameter (for giving relations etc.).
nikhil gothankar

This is what I found in a "Tips & Tricks web site" about the question:

"Question:Can I specify the color of the part as item in a family table?

Answer: Yes, you can: you first must set a parameter named color,if you'd like, with a value "black" for instance. Then "add item" to the family table (Fam table/add item) and select "parameter/color" from the menu. Of course, your initial value (black)will be attributed to your generic model. You can add an instance that on the "Color" column would have any another value(natural,etc). You can see your model parameters in the tree by adding the column for the model parameters."

I hope this will be a solutions.

Bye!

emproe@katamail.com

That method only allows you to specify a string variable called 'color' - it does not actually control the color of the part(s).

Recneps

I'm here with a problem like this example:
I have a family table of screws with 10 different sizes.
Each of these 10 instances (sizes) needs a variable "color" which can be one of 5 preset values. The color needs not to be shown in the part itself, only as text in bill of materials. As of now I can solve this only by making 10x5=50 instances which makes the family table long and not easy to manage.
Any suggestions?

To show different instances with different colours:

- add a surface to the model which includes all surfaces
- then give this surface a colour
- add the surface to the family table & turn on/off as req
- create new surfaces for each colour

Works OK.

Ed

umm ... so there hasn't been any solution to this? more along the lines of having a built in parameter that is associated to an actual color?

I've got a bunch of parts with different instances, and for all those different instances, they have different colors too .....

Only method I ever found that worked was work around from PTC support & as Ed (aka prohow) mentioned above.

Create surfaces that use existing geometry to drive (ie surface is a child of solid.) One surface feature for each instance that you want a different color. Control color attribute to each surface indifidually.

Add all surfaces to family table. Each surface feature is YES only for one instance.

Yes it is a work around, but it does work.

Method proposed by "helpmewithintralink" could work, but I haven't ever tried that method.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back