Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

different currents on the parallel wires of a phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaux

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2009
TR
hi, all i got a question that maybe is very easy for electric guys, we have a generator, 400 V 1500 A, and we use 6 wires to get out the current, and i got diferents currents on each wire, i tight them again but it´s not sucesful, and now i don´t know why...we cheek the terminals and all seems to be ok, does somebody know why...
the diference is about 10 % of the current....?

i hope somebody could help me cause i´m worried about some wire will burn.... thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

10% difference might not be worth worrying about. But if you can get your hands on a thermograph, take a quick look at the cable terminations while under load just to make sure that a higher impedance of one of the paralleled conductors isn't due to a bad crimp or tightening torque.

Good point, PHovnanian!
The first thing I would do on cases like these is to verify good joints. Small contact resistances on any cable termination means a lot, and could explain why current sharing variations are pronuonced.

Is the motor paralles wound? E.g.: Does the motor have six separate windings?

Are the motor windings in Wye (Star) or in Delta?

Tx.

Regards . . .

Jim S. Nasby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back