Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different ETABS Analysis Results of the Exact Same File on Different Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricHimawan

Civil/Environmental
Jan 12, 2021
ID
My company uses ETABS Plus version 17. One of us were running a steel structure analysis model with concrete slab on top. When another person checked the model on a different computer, the result turned up different. In the original modeler's computer, the model's steel structure check turned out unsafe with many red members. On the checker's ETABS, the model was all green and blue. A third person (me) also took part in the checking and it also turned out blue and green for me.

So where did it go wrong? Measures that have been taken and checked items as follow:
>checking mesh options, all the same
>checking steel preferences and codes and reduction factors, all the same
>checking combinations, we use the same ones in steel check
>checking end releases and property modifiers, all the same
>units are all the same
>ETABS are the same version
>tried moving the .edb file only to another folder and rerun the analysis, still same difference on our respective ETABS
restarting the computer, still the same result

How is it even possible that the exact same edb file produce a different result on each computer? I cant see how hardware even factor into it, but just to be sure maybe i need to mention that we generally use intel i7, while the person with different analysis result (the red members) use AMD Ryzen R5 (far-reaching i know, but just wanna throw the facts out)

Any insight would be welcome, thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know nothing about ETABS, so I'm shooting in the dark, but I didn't see the material properties as one of the items checked. Have you verified the material strengths are the same in the analyses?

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

This might be a better forum for your issue -> forum802

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back