Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difficulties importing IGS-files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pingen

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2007
SE
Hi,

The ANSYS program imports Catia v5 files with no problems. However, it cannot import IGS-files (exported by Catia v5), even though this is one of the importation options. How can this be? Can it be fixed?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Continuing..

Acctually, even importing Catia v5 parts cause problems. The part appears in Ansys, but the importation seems to have generated severe errors in the program. For instance, several of the folders in the Main Menu cannot be accessed after the part has been imported. Clicking on these folders triggers error messages such as:

"Error: syntax error in expression "2.2-0.2": extra tokens at end of expression"

I would be very greateful if you could help me solve this problem.

/Pingen

As long as my experience goes, you better forget about IGS - the end result is not worth the pain as long as you have better ways to import your model - importing Catia V5 parts always worked like a charm with me - I'm sorry I can't be of any help with your problems there.

That's bad news. I will put my efforts towards getting Catia v5 parts to work then, and leave IGS for now.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi

If you have access to ANSYS workbench try to import the IGES file and then simply export it as a parasolid. Finally import the parasolid into ANSYS. Although an unorthodox method it has worked for me in the past.

Good luck

Not sure if you already did this or not...

There is an additional download for the Catia v5 reader for Workbench. When you run the installation script for Workbench, it asks you what CAD plugins to install. By default Catia v5 is not listed. In order to list it, you need to download the ANSYSCAT5110_WINXX (depending on if you're running 32 or 64 bit). After you run that, then run the Workbench installation script and you'll see Catia v5 listed.

In my personal experience, Catia generates HORRIBLE iges files. They are usually so bad that Catia can't even read them back in. Definitely go with the parasolid format if you can.

Good luck,
Doug

Hi Doug,

You have replied to some of my previous threads, so you know that I'm encountering some strange problems. In fact WB was just a gray empty window when I first tried to use it. It was quite tricky to get it up and running. For instance, I had to manually register a bunch of dll-files.

I toggled the Catia v5 plug-in during the last installation, but WB still can't find the Catia Geometry Interface.

However, it is my understanding that I will get the latest ANSYS version soon. And hopefully that will solve these issues.

Thanks again for your replies.

Pingen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back