Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diffuse Lens Material/Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pevac

Mechanical
Oct 5, 2003
AU
We need a small transparent 'lens' cap to protect and diffuse the light from a 3mm LED so that the 'lens' area is nicely lit up when the product is viewed.

Injection moulding the small cap in polycarbonate is ok, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how best to diffuse the light from the LED as it refracts to the outside?

Are there some particular surface textures that work better then others, or perhaps a different material?

Any input is welcome!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks BSMECAD,

Does anyone know what kind of equipment is required to cut this type of glass diffusers into required shapes and sizes?

Also, does anyone know if similar type of diffusion is possible in polycarbonate lenses by changing the surface texture of the moulding tool?

Hi Pevac,

I really do not any reason you would need to cut glass for your application. Try to consider to buy standard part as I suggested.

You can use a glass cutter tool if you really want to cut glass. The tool usually consists of a metal scoring wheel.
You use the wheel to scribe a line on the glass then break along this line. Keep in mind to always wear safety gloves and glasses. Also difficult to cut small pieces.

Hi BSMECAD,

The 'Lens' is small and triangular in shape and the LED protrudes into this triangular hollow so I was hoping to put in a diffuser plate between the LED and the inner side of the plastic lens.

I think using a glass diffuser will be too complicated and costly for what we need it to do and we will try just a sand blasted finish on the inner surfaces of the plastic 'lens'

Thanks for your input,
Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back