Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Digital X-ray 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphasmus

Petroleum
Apr 2, 2009
US
Up here in lonely Montana gamma ray crews are very scarce and not always available. So currently for code work we are using our own phased array equipment. It’s fast and easy. (By the way, this also works great for finding flange face corrosion while still in service such as for the HF Alky.) But we are also needing profile shots to complement the UT thickness corrosion monitoring. So we are looking into getting some Digital x-ray equipment. Montana does not require any licensing for x-ray equipment unless it is for medical purposes. Have you guys used it any yet? I am talking about flat screen technology, not computerized images from film. We were thinking of possibly using the Eresco MF4 in conjunction with the Vidisco FoxRayzor Digital Imaging System. We would be shooting up to 6" pipe, but mostly 4" and smaller. I would really like to talk to some people about thier expernceces before we make this big investment!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We currently have the Eresco and like the technology. We use it for profile RT, B31.3 and Sect. IX stuff right now. Not fully integrated into the system yet and use outside services still. Are you going to use this for in-process x-rays or all new? The reason I ask is the source you will need is a bigger question then the Eresco! Gamma RT is the BEST way to go but we are State Regulated so X-ray tube is the way we went. The main problem with x-ray tube is versatility. Very hard to get much done and transport around the plant is a pain! I can give recommendations, let me know if you are using in-plant (in-service piping) or on new and more than happy to help you!

Thank you very much for your reply.
We are currently mostly interested in shooting in-service piping for corrosion issues, though I certainly can see us using it for new piping as well. We are a company that currently performs new construction work, R stamp work as well as inspection and corrosion monitoring up here in Great Falls. We do a lot of our work for the local refinery and a few other facilities around town. The Refinery is very small, about 12,000 BPD. However they do have an FCC, HF Alky, Hydrogen units, Reformers and Asphalt plant. As you know, no matter the size of the refinery, availability is always an important issue. So we are very interested in finding corrosion issues as soon as possible to prevent unscheduled shutdowns. Since the refinery is small, I thought moving the source would not be a big problem.
We were thinking of using the 200 kv air cooled Eresco. It weighs 59.1 lbs. The weight jumps up to 88 lbs for a larger air cooled model. They claim 1.65" penetration in 10 minutes, but we are interested in flat screen technology so I don’t know how that translates.
How difficult is it to use in a pipe rack? Will it take a little bumping around?
How long has your x-ray tube lasted?
Do you use Flat screen technology?

It is very very difficult to use in a pipe rack! We use it vary rarely in the rack as having it in a JLG while shooting makes the picture very blurry. If you have any radiography background it is simple to understand because the film (Plate) stays still and the JLG moves. Think of dental x-rays where they say "Stay very still and don’t move” this is the same concept. Plus it takes 2 JLG's to do the work in the rack as you have to stay away during the shot. There is much better technology out there for finding CUI in high lines (check out Guided Wave Technology or INCOTEST). I recommend those over x-ray any day. But if you still want the x-rays then I recommend Gamma all day long!
As for the bumping around....any radiographer will tell you that it is an x-ray tube! Most are designed for stationary x-rays and not portability! And are very expensive to get repaired!
Our tube has not been used very much as the portability stinks! Unit has lasted for 3 years now but only used 10 to 12 times total. We use outside services still for highline x-rays on big pipe.
On small bore piping we have found that the XRS-3 unit is great! It is a pulsed unit that can punch up to 4 inch piping and can find CUI real well. It is so much more portable and x-ray boundaries’ are almost nothing (20Ft) compared to the big unit which requires 100 ft or more.
Not sure what you are talking about on the flat screen technology. We have the GE unit with the expensive flat screens. We like the GE unit when you can get a hold of a rep for questions (sometimes REAL hard!).

Hope this helps. Sorry for delayed response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back