Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

digitizing 35mm slides+negatives/Apple vs ibm compatible pc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmover

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2001
US
all,

2 questions/issues i welcome responses to.

i've the task of scanning 800+ 35mm slides and negatives. after reviewing various articles and websites for 35mm scanners, i have not reached any conclusion as to which scanner (nikon, canon, hp, etc.) will suffice my needs. the last thing i want to do is purchase a 35mm scanner and not be satisfied with results or find out there is a need to conduct extensive editing (although really an unknown at this time). all i really want to do is scan the negative and store into a pdf file (something easily viewable by all users without purchasing additional software) and have a decent picture to view. right now, there is no need to generate prints of the negatives or slides. i understand that some of these slides/negatives are of poor quality (afterall, they are > 30 years old!) and there may be the need to conduct editing features (enhance!) of the negative using software (adobe photoshop or equivalent).
i welcome unbiased responses anyone whom is knowledgeable about scanning old 35mm negatives (i.e. what hardware/software is used) or can advise of useful websites to refer to.

along the same line, i am seriously considering purchasing an apple pc (imac or a G4 unit) as mac's are better at handling graphics (photos and videos). again, i welcome unbiased knowledgeable responses from individuals whom have experience using both an ibm and/or apple pc's in digital photo scanning, editing, and storing of files.

sorry if i'm asking too much, but... i could use some useful feedback!
-pmover

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well I guess I can try to help. My wife used a Kodak scanner for the catalog design company she used to work for before opening her own business. She runs a G4 with Photoshop and Illustrator.

gettheledout!
thanks for the response. i've been told (by whom??) to avoid the kodak product. while i've not seen it nor read anything about it, i personnally can not come to any conclusions about it.
i trust your wife is having success with the g4 and associated software?
what type of device connection (usb, firewire, scsi, etc.) is used for the scanner?
the apple g5 machine looks mighty inviting!
-pmover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back