Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dim Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy1111

Mining
Jun 2, 2006
CA
IS solidworks able to use the inch " suffix in a dimension style ?

It seems I can only get inches suffix by using ft-inch units, except I dont want feet just the inches.

I guess its following ansi standards, but my shop has 30 years of following drawings done a certain way and dont really care about what Mr Ansi says.

Is there any way to create a custom standards like I could in old 2d autocad ?

-------------

Randy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can add it manually in the dimension text field in the property manager. You can then save a "favorite" of this. Then window select all your dimensions and change it to the favorite to apply it to all the dimensions.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to automatically have it applied to dimensions as you create them.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

I'm freinds with Mr. Ansi.
SW tries to follow the standards. IMO, I think all companies should follow the standards. There would be less headaches.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-05)

We use inches only, not feet, for example, 64" not 5'-4". BUT, we use fractions instead of decimals, and that is how the inch suffix shows up automatically. If you use decimals, the inch suffix does not show up automatically.

Our Dimensioning Standard is set to ANSI
Tools > Options > Document Properties tab > Detailing > Dimensioning Standard: ANSI.

Units
Tools > Options > Document Properties tab > Units > Length Units: Inches (not feet and inches). The "Fractions" is checked.

I am curious as to whether ANSI standards dictate using the inch suffix for fractions but not decimals.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

Odd that it adds " to fractions. Since fractions are only used in an imperial system and there is no confusion as to what it is. Its when there is a numeric value and no suffix that confusion will result, at least in our shop.

I guess I just hate being forced to have the company conform to a piece of software, instead of the software bieng versatile enough to conform to company standards.

-------------

Randy

I assume you shop works both in metric and inches. We have a note on our formats that tell whether the drawing is in inches or milimeters.

We try to use SW out of the box. We have had to make many changes and retrain people because of it but we think it was well worth it.

SA

Yes we work with both inches on some drawings, and metric on others, depends on what country our customer is in. And yes, we also have a note in the drawing that states what units the drawing is in.

Doesnt negate the fact that it's a chance for confusion to arise. When every dimension has either a " or a mm suffix, there is zero confusion. And it could be solved if solidworks was less rigid in enforcing what they decide we want, instead of it being adaptable to what we want.

Maybe im just old fashioned and believe software should do what i want, not the other way around. In any event, if we go with solidworks, i guess employee retraining is in the future, unfortunatly.

-------------

Randy

Solidworks is just following what the industry standard is.

Jason

By their nature, drawings are minimalist. Excess information that does not add to the understanding of the part is redundant. Having a statement on the drawing declaring what system is used is sufficient, and adding " to a drawing which already states that all dimensions are in inches is redundant. Do you also tell the machinist to "drill" the holes and "tap" the threads?

Then why does it have the " suffix if its fractional inches, or architectural ft/inches ?

How is it redundant in one system and not in 2 others, when all 3 have a statement declaring shich system is used?

Anyways, im not looking for justification as to why ansi is the way it is. I find it curious as to why a software company doesnt allow the option to create custom standards, or to vary certain aspects of ansi standards when they serve a purpose better in a companies specific situation. And everyones willingness to defend the software.

I got my answer, if i use solidworks, it is incapable of putting a suffix on dimensions other that what they default to.

-------------

Randy

I don't know the reason for the discrepancy between fractions and ft/inches. ASME Y14.5 doe not cover architectural or civil engineering drawings. It does state that "the commonly used U.S. customary linear unit used on engineering drawings is the decimal inch" but does not claim it as a rule.
I agree that the software should allow for customized standards. I don't agree with customized standards on an ASME Y14.5 drawing without noting what the differences are.
SW should allow for what you desire, especially if you are following your own standards, and not mr asmes. You should not be forced to follow a standard that you have no use for. At least there are work arounds to get what you need.

And yes, we also have a note in the drawing that states what units the drawing is in.
If confusion can be caused by not taking 1.3 seconds and looking at the note on the drawing that states which units are used, then not even SW will be able to help you. By the way, do you use the same number of decimal places for inches as you do millimeters? That would be a hint also. Out of curiosity, was AutoCAD your previous CAD package?

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

Autocad has a unit type format called "Engineering" which adds this. this is probably what he's used.

From what I can tell, Solidworks nor even Unigraphics has a setting that automatically adds the inch mark. Usually I've never had a problem telling the difference. Drawings in inches at most companies are typically 3 decimal places while metric is usually 2. Also the rather large number is usually a clue.

I think dimensions favorites is your best bet....you'll just have to enforce their use.

Jason

We'll make due either way. Im simply trying to foresee any potential problems our shop employees may have when we impliment new software. They've seen drawings done one way for 30 years, any change is simply an opportunity for an error to be made.

A worker in our shop deals with a dozen drawings a day, half imperial, half metric. Yes the decimal precision is different between the two, but we also use varying precision on different parts. Bearing journals to 4 places, Fastener surfaces to 3 places, etc. So a quick glance at a dimension doesnt tell them if its metric or imperial. The large numbers should, but then again, no mistakes "should" ever happen.

If we go with solidworks we'll go with ansi standards of no suffix and having them look at the title block notes to see what its in. Having to run macros or such afterwards is too much of a pain and not worth the effort. If it was a checkbox in a menu I could turn on, i'd of used it simply to remove one potential excuse.

-------------

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back