Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimension Favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDI

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2006
US
Is there a way to have your Dimension Favorites
automatically show up in a part template?
We are using fractions in our sketches and we also need them to be linked to a fractional description block in our drawings. The problem is we use decimal to dimension so we need the units in our drawings to be decimal.
The only way I have found how to do this is turn off the "Use Documents unit" button in the dimension property. This has proven to be a pain as the dimension favorites do not automatically show up in every part.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure how to do what you want.
Make all templates decimal. Save everyone time and headaches. IMO

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

In my head, I beleive this to be possible because my weldment cutlist dimensions stay fractional in my decimal drawing template.

KDI,

Our drawing templates come with 9 different dimension favorites, one of them being called fraction and it converts your dimension. I was able to do this by creating the favorites and then applying them in the template. In other words, in the template I just drew a line, dimensioned it, applied all the different favorites we use to that dimension, deleted the line and then saved the templates. Seems to work really well for us now.

mncad

KDI

You can have your model files be fractional and set your drawing template to decimal and the two will work together displaying fractions in the model file and decimals in the drawing.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 3/24/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0 EV

Also you will want to save those as both templates and sheet formats, that way if you update an old drawing to the new border it will load the favorites with it.

mncad

Mncad,

Im really looking for that to save with my Part template, not my Drawing template.

You can do that. Dimension favorites work the same way in the part template.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 3/24/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0 EV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back