Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dimension Round-off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhaveshn

Mechanical
May 23, 2007
CA
How to round-off dim values to specific least counts (not to number of decimals)

For ex. if least-count set to 0.5, then

Actual size Rounded-off Value
10.3---> 10.5
10.2---> 10.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am creating drawing of a plastic component from an imported model, which I scaled in SE for shrinkage allowance. It is combursome first to change 100s of features & dim. in historyless model.

This is to me is a so basic thing, can be required at number of cases. I know 10 years ago AutoCAD R10 was capable for it.

I think one can do it Pro/E with Floor() and Ceiling() at least
you can apply a formula for that specific rounding. IMO SE
sticks to what VBScript offers and that is not much, see functions
in Variables. And that's the reason why there is no Floor()/Ceil() and V100 has not improved in that area

dy

Ya CorBlimeyLimey you are right, you repeated what I meant to say, even BAD software like AutoCAD do good things (like rounding-off capability)

ACAD isn't bad software. In fact it is an excellent program if used properly. Unfortunately many users abuse its capabilities. Which is why people who have to work with imported ACAD files with a standards based program soon learn to not trust them.

If you are applying dimensions to one dp then what does it matter if it's 10.3 or 10.5 - you will still have to measure to the same accuracy to check it.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

"If you are applying dimensions to one dp then what does it matter if it's 10.3 or 10.5 - you will still have to measure to the same accuracy to check it"

It is different numbers 10.3 & 10.5 and you think it doesn't matter!!!!!!?????

Drawing Readed look at drawing NOT model.

The point was, most of the cost is in the order of magnitude of accuracy required.

Why not have a 10.3 dimension, why 10.5? And if you really want 10.5 not 10.3 why not model it that way?

I personly find rounding to cause a lot of problems. If the 'end' dimension is 10.5 then the model should usually be 10.50000000000000000000000000 ad infinitum.

More than once I've witnessed problems from people not following this rule.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Bhaveshn,
I think you mis-understood my comment.
What I mean is why round up from 10.3 to 10.5 - it's still dimensioned to 1dp, and any checking/inspection has to be done to the same accuracy whichever is on the drawing.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back