Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimension Text - Can I ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechcad8

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2004
EU
In the Dimension Text box for customising the dimension information, I would like to display the text "M4-6H EQUI SP PCD ø58" but for the ø58 I would like to select the dimension string D2@sketch8, So if the dimension changes it also changes on my drawing view.

I've tried placing the text within " " marks and also using the text D2@sketch8@@Default@name.SLDPRT, but without any success.

Has anybody else had any success?

Mechcad8

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is not what I'm after.

I do not want to show the dimension referance on the drawing I would like an existing dimension added to a text string.

Mechcad8

Add your dimension to a Custom property, then add that Custom property to your text by using the "Link to Property" icon in the Property manager within your drawing.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Scott, would that work for a dim text field? If using a text field, one does need a custom prop...just click on the dim whike editing the text. But I don't think that works for dim strings.

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

The text could be placed into a dimension manually or via the Favorites (Styles) function.

As Matt stated, the dimension can be placed into a note by simply clicking on the dimension. The dimension can then be hidden or even deleted ... providing it's an Insert > Model Items dimension.

At least will wait till SP 1.0.

Deepak Gupta
SW2009 SP4.1
SW2007 SP5.0
MathCAD 14.0

Many thanks to you all for your comments:)

This is such a simple function to carry out in ProE, I guess we just make the best of whats availible.

Mechcad8

Make an enhancement request. I and all other former and current ProE users would vote for it or have submitted similar requests.
Another thing to ask for or mention in your enhancement request would be the abillity to Group Notes and Dimensions so it would be possible to snap them or allow to move as a group.
Enhancement Requests

The Text Note workaround is good but may not work well when dimensions have tolerances. The Dimension will also be uni directional so you can't click the the note link to modify original value. You can place a View off the Drawing Sheet with Model Dimensions D#@Feature... and add text to the drafting dim so you know what it controls.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back