Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning a Radius Groove????? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest4k

Industrial
Aug 31, 2005
US
Good afternoon, I have a single part which is a an extruded cylinder, .537 diameter, if it matters. On that cylinder I have a .031 R groove, for a snap ring, which at the bottom of the radius, I need to add a dimension, .502 diameter. So far the only thing I have been able to do is once again lie. This thing will not pick up the bottom of teh radius, or tangent edge, if you like so does anyone have any suggestions on any possiblities on how to do this? I won't say were this was a piece of cake, but I need to show the machinist the dimensions. Thank you in advance for any assistance rendered.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why no use the dimensions that you created the feature with? That way everything is bi-directional.....that's the beauty of SWx. If you didn't create the feature they way you want to dimension it.....then rethink your design intent and modeling approaches. IMO, it's good modeling practice to use the dimensions that you made the feature with in the drawing. Although, their are exceptions to every rule.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." - Henry Ford

Thank you for the response, Heckler. The dimension that you mension does not exist, in the model. This thing can not pick up the tangent point so I can put in a diameter, whcih is what the machinist need to be able to mic on the part. This was gravey in _ _, but it is a night mare here. And to make matters even worse, I have hundreds to thousand of this parts to make up and no way to dimension it. Well, time to start lying again, which I have to do allot of in this software. Thank you anyway, a lying I shall go.

No, I use a partial section, because in most cases I need to show things that are on the outside of the cylinders, so I can dim those things as well.

Quest4K,

This was gravey in _ _,
would you mind airing out your dirty laundry.....I'm sure we're all interested in your MCAD background. As you can see in my profile I use SWx & Pro/e 2001 on a daily basis.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." - Henry Ford

Is this what you're trying to do?

groovedimensioning1gs.jpg

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP1.0 on WinXP SP2

Thank you Jason for your response. Yes the 1.500 dim is exactly what I am trying to get, but using the partial section instead of the full sectioning.

How are you creating the partial section?

How about this?
groovedimensioning27pa.jpg

Jason

In a separate configuration, I make a constrained sq on the face/end of the part and do a extruded cut and it removes a quarter of the part. That way I can show the outside and the inside in one view. There is marking on most of the parts and I must show locations. This way I don't have to have three views and I can get maximum size for the parts.

Well you can do the partial view I did in two views using the section view command (Not aligned Section). Hide the first view if you don't want to see it.

Still, I did it your way and didn't have any trouble dimensioning it. Have you tried to lock the view focus, I know in the past you couldn't select silhouettes if the view focus wasn't locked on that view.

What version of Solidworks are you using?

groovedimensioning34ik.jpg

Jason

I first creat a new configuration and then I place a contrained sq on the face/end of the part and extrude cut through all. That way I can show where markings on the outside are and dim them with out creating a new view, so I can max the size of the parts.

Well I finally got the center point to dim, but not the dia. I think I am just gotting to give up and plant a couple of points and dim them. It could not happen to a worse group of parts, it is a monsterously huge family. Well thanks for trying, have a good one.

You give up too easily.

If you have the centre points dimensioned by clicking the arcs, all you have to do now is RMB the dimension, select Properties, then select "Min condition" for both points.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Thank you CorBlimeyLimey, it actually work. I nearly feel off my chair. Something finally worked in this system. I think I will go and celebrate.

Also hold Shift when selecting the arcs for your dimension and while holding shift down, place the dimension.

Jason

Rather than waste time celebrating, spend the time reading the Help files & working through the tutorials ... again. I'm sorry, but this is pretty basic stuff.

You have to remember this is not UG & should not be used as if it is. SW has its own way of doing things, just like any other CAD package does. Turn on all the shortcuts & menu selections by Tools > Customize > Options and select both Show All buttons. Then experiment with all the ones you haven't seen or used before.

Most members here have transitioned from one package to another. Gildashard has gone from SW to UG, he doesn't complain about it ... too much. [smile] Each package has its strength & weaknesses. The trick is working with them, not against them.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back