Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dimensioning Angles

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancey

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2001
US
I am using SW2003 and the ANSI standard. Often when dimensioning angles I would like to cross the extension lines. I can not for the life of me figure out how. I would like to think this would be standard and that I would not have to "fudge" it. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We definitely need more clarification on this. Are you talking about placing your dims inside versus outside the extension lines on your angular dims? If that is the question, then you can do it. Simply drag our dim outside the extension lines in the drawing.

Wanna Tip? faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

I think what Chancey means is draging the extnsion lines so that they cross. This is difficult at best in SWX.

I usually leave the extension lines alone and either insert a virtual sharp or sketch line on the view.

If it is applicable, try making the angle dimension using 3 points. For instance, in the case of two intersecting lines, pick line end 1, intersection, line end 2. The apex point needs to be the second point selected.

This method also works well when dimensioning arc sectors.

[bat]I may make you feel, but I can't make you think.[bat]

Sorry I was not clear. Arlin is right on target. When dimensioning an angle and dragging it I was looking for the extension lines to cross where the selected entities would cross if they were extended. This is no problem in...ACAD. Virtual sharps would work fine if I could dimension them. I guess I'll just use sketch lines to get the desired result. Ho-hum.

You can dimension to virtual sharps, but first you must insert the virtual sharp:

Select both edges, then click the sketch point tool. The virtual sharp is created and you can dimension to that point.

Look in the system or document options to choose how the virtual sharp is displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back