Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensioning from view to view

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfgrrl

Aerospace
Oct 2, 2006
US
We are trying hard to have all dimensions remain associative to all model geometry, however we are having trouble with one area:

When creating machinings from forgings. we put both the machining view and the forging view in the dwg (we use Position ->Superpose to get them lined up precisely). However, when it is needed to dimension from the forging to the machining (for obvious reasons), we are stumped. Catia does not allow you to dimension from view to view, so we have ended up creating geometry in the machining view that overlays the forging. But if the forging changes (which they are bound to do) this created geometry does not update to the model.

So my question is this - how does one go about dimensioning from view to view and have dims remain associative? I have resorted to copying from the forging view into the machining view, but this creates weak dimension (gray) and goes red every time the drawing is closed and reopened.

Please advise how to conquer this in Catia - this is really starting to wear me out!

Thanks in advance........

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried generating a drawing from a product containing both the forging and the machined parts, using overload properties on the view(s)?

Your sketches with your machined CATPart model should contain the dimensions you require from the forged surfaces. When you Superpose the forging view on the machined part view, then use "Generate dimension" command, the dimension will appear as required (From forged surface). It won't actually be from one view to the other, but the dimension will actually be from the forging to the machining.

As the forging changes, the machined part sketches will update and your drawing views should update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back