Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dimensioning maximum length (stock size)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupen

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2014
SI
Hello to everyone.

I am making a reusable part in our company library.
The part has different dimension and lengths. After the part is inserted in the assembly it is cut, in most cases with a false body with custom shape.
I am trying to make a drawing for this reusable part too. I would need to dimension the maximum length. I cannot find a way to make this right. Obviously dimensioning with linear dimension does not work, because after one face is cut it loses reference.

I am using MW_STOCK_SIZE_L attrib too for our BOM. So I have an attrib that has this dimension too. Maybe this would be the way to go?
For now I am using a note text with this value but I would like to make a real dimension.

Thank you in advance.

With best regards.
Luka

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way that a dimension is "associative" is what gives you the problem.
The specific dimension stores the ID of the two edges/points/etc that each dimension line is connected to, if you change a feature such that it becomes shorter/longer, the ID will stay on that edge and the dimension will update.
but , if you cut the blank using a, each time new, feature, the resulting edges will have new ID's and the dimension will be "retained".
If you can use the MW_STOCK_SIZE and that value is updated / correct this should be a possible workaround.

Regards,
Tomas

I assume this part has the same cross section for the entire part.
When cutting the part do not use TRIM, but instead use REPLACE FACE and you should be fine.
Capture3_pnt6gj.jpg

In the example below I show it "trimmed" to a datum place (parallel to the end face),
but it should work fine if you replace the end face with a planar solid, or WAVED in, face.

Capture_ieviv6.jpg

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1884

Hello,

I have two proposition:
First: more comlicated and maybe stupid:
1. You have Your start body
2. Create Extracted Body, non-checked Fix at Current Timestamp
3. Create BoundingBody at Extracted Body
4. Delete Body on Extracted Body.
When You add any feature to Start Body, dimesions of Bounding Body will change.
But names of these dimensions are constans.

Second: Journal for create Bounding Body (after Trim), get dimension of it, and delete it.
If You are intresting this solution I can find something like this.

best regards

MANok
NX12\TC10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back