Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dimensions and Detail views

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaugh

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2001
US
I hope this is the right place to ask these questions.

1) Does ANSI allow for Detail views to have a Broken out section view within it? I don't mean add the Broken out section in a Front view and then detail the area, simply Detail the area, then add the Broken out section?

2) If there is a Dimension on a drawing without a Tolerance and there is not a Tolerance block on the drawing, would that Dimension be considered as a theoretical perfect location, similar to a Basic dimension in GD&T? (Note: we are not using GD&T on our part models)

Thanks,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

forum1103 is probably a better place for this type of question. The US drawing standards are generally under ASME now not directly ANSI so you may not get many responses here.

1. ASME Y14.3-2003 doesn't appear to explicitly say whether you can put a Broken out section view within a detail view. Sections 2.9 'Details' & 3.10 'Broken-Out Sections' seem to be the relevant text, I didn't look too closely at the rest to see if there was a general note about combining types of view. While I'm not sure my current version of my CAD system allows me to do it I don't think I can say it's wrong - so long as it's clear what's going on.

2. Only if you have a general note saying something like "UNTOLERANCED DIMENSIONS LOCATING TRUE POSITION ARE BASIC" (ASME Y14.5M-1994 5.2.1.1(b). However trying to go too far cherry picking what part of a standard you invoke can get complicated.

I'm confused by your "(Note: we are not using GD&T on our part models)" - the T just stands for tolerance so you don't tolerance your models?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

We tolerance our parts as needed, we do not use GD within our parts. But there are areas where people have pulled information from GDT standards and have been using them incorrectly. I am writing a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to fix crap like this from occurring in our future drawings.

The problem really is we might be one company, but we have different divisions that don't agree on anything. For example one wants to have a Tolerance block on the drawing, where the other does not. There are reason for both, but I have to make a single drawing template that works for both divisions. One of the items on the drawing is listed a "Basic Dimension" that reflects a Dimension on our drawings that has no tolerance for one division. The other division allows the "Basic Dimension" to follow the Tolerance block.... which makes no sense to me. It should either be renamed to something other than Basic or needs to be removed from the Drawing entirely. Which is why I asked my question about Dimensions without a Tolerance, would it be understood its similar to a Basic Dimension, but without the note, or the Box surrounding it?

I will post the above questions in the forum you sent me... thanks for the help KENAT!

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back