Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimensions on Sheet Metal Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNF

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2005
US
Hello,
For laser cut sheet metal parts is it standard not to dimension out everything on a print?

The reason I ask is because I just started a new job where they don't want all features on a part fully dimensioned on the detail drawing. This is completly diffrent from all my other jobs where everything is dimensioned out.
I know this isn't a hill worth dieing for, but I just wanted a check of my sanity.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It does sound strange. Unless the shop working on the sheetmetal uses a CAD model to program their machines instead of punching in dims per a drawing. The few dims that you are putting on the drawings may be for inspection purposes only.

My company works this way on plastic molded parts and it stinks. I can't check the stuff.

It will be interesting what you find out.

Good Luck

Mark

Generally on flat patterns we only give overall sizes and a couple of easy to measure hole sizes to check cutter compensation where tight tolerances are required. If we use multiple cutting conditions on a part one measurable feature for each condition is dimensioned. Aside from that the profile is generated right off the CAD geometry, any errors on the part are most likely to be present on the drawing:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back