Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimple Jacket Calcs Required for Low Pressure Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsfine

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2011
US
I'm doing an analysis for a company that makes stainless steel tanks for the beverage industry. One of his customers has asked for an ME stamp on their dimple jackets, and I need some guidance here. Any help would be much appreciated.

The concern comes as these will be heated with steam, and all their past tanks have used glycol.
Dimple jacket is 304 stainless, 12 ga. base with 18 ga. top sheet. RSW on 3" centers, .25" electrodes. The dimple jackets are made in house.
In manufacturing, samples are regularly taken, and tested to 450 psig, and no weld failures are allowed.
In use, these jackets are around atmospheric tanks, and are pressurized to <15 psig steam at <300°F.
Now to inflate the jacket for the desired pillow height, they use 300 psig air, so 15 psi steam seems like no issue.

Being under 15 psig means this is exempt from ASME Section VIII, Div 1. Are there other code areas that apply to this application?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

State law in many places requires a PE stamp for structures, systems and devices that may harm the public.

Many clients assume that a PE stamp is a guarantee that a product or process will perform as contracted.... it is not

Unethical bosses and MBAs have no problem with letting the newbie engineer stamp and guarantee a process at his own peril

As a mechanical engineer, know the difference and the limits of your responsibilities ....

Anyone else have comments on this distinction ?????

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back