Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dimscale in PS vs MS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

Mechanical
May 16, 2003
US
I've got a file created by somebody else. I then dropped in a PS layout that I've been using.

When I go to dimension the model from paperspace, the dimension is not scaling to model space - it's just showing the actual paperspace distance. If I do my dimension in model space, then the dimension is correct but the text height's all messed up.

I do not have this problem when doing my own drawings with my template but only when trying to work in this other guy's drawing.

I'm guessing there's a system variable that needs to be turned off or on.

Anybody know where I should look?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Modify the dimension style, in the "Fit" tab, check "Scale dimensions to layout (paperspace)"

Did that work?

Binary, you have to understand the relationship between MS and PS. All drawings are drawn in MS using the real dimensions of the object. The titleblock and borders are drawn in real dimension in PS. Now you are transferring the drawing in MS to PS and that drawing must fit within the borders. Since all drawings have a scale such as 1/4"=1' meaning that the drawing in PS will be 48 times smaller than the real object,therefore when transferring from MS to PS you will need to scale down the drawing after a viewport is opened in PS to reveal the drawing in MS.
Now, to scale the drawing down you can either(and you must have the model status bar on) type Z-S-1/nXP where n= 1/scale factor which is 48. Another method is to open you viewport tool bar and select the proper scale but make sure the model space staus bar is on.

To get the lettering at 1/8" high on the plot, your lettering height in MS=1/8"x 48 or 6" for the above example.

Din that same dialogue boximension height of 1/8" on the plot can set in dim style at that dimension but you must change the overall scale factor at 48.

Linetype such as phanton drawn in MS will appear as a solid line in PS with the above example because you are educing the drawing 48 times, therefore set psltscale at zero and regen drawing when in layout out and status bar is on model.

In the event you need to know the scale of a drawing sent to you, measure a feature of the drawing in MS and repeat the same measurement in PS and the ratio of both will give you the scale of the drawing.

The problem most likely lies in the system variable DIMASSOC. If its set to 0 or 1, it will show the paperspace units. If it is set to 2 you will get associative dimensions that automatically scale properly to show the modelspace distances.

So, the fix is to always ensure that DIMASSOC is set to 2.

Dave

Thanks to everybody.

To chicopee and IFRs - Thanks for your responses. Rereading my post I see that I was not clear about the problem I was having. It wasn't the size of the characters but the actual dimension value displayed. Great dissertation on PS/MS, though, chicopee.

TVE - That did the trick. I figured it was a system variable thing but was overwhelmed by the number of them and didn't know where to start. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back