Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DIN Tolerance Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

abell88

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2004
CA
Does anyone have any info relating to General machining tolerances to DIN standards. Whether you can point me to the right standard # or simply just share your knowledge????

I have a meterbody I need to machine but alot of the features on this body that are machined are not toleranced...they have dimensions...just no tolerances.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

abell88
I worked for a Swiss firm and everything was metric. I was given a reference device which gives the various tolerances for ISO sizes for bores and shafts. Tolerances for shafts are called out with a lower case letter followed by a number. Example shaft OD 40 h9 (39.938mm-40.000mm) size range. A bore will be called out with a capitalized letter followed by a number. Example bore
40 H9 (40.000mm-40.062mm). I do not know where to get these standards or how current my table is. I did a Google search and found the standards are available thru ansi.org.

Hope this helps,
Bill

We have one of those little devices, it is called a Tolerator and is still up to date if I'm correct.
Unfortunatly if there is nothing on the technical drawing, then one cannot really give tolerances other than say 10mm wil be 9.5mm to 10.5mm.
Do you have the drawing, or can you contact someone who can give the correct information on the meterbody? We sometimes receive tech drawings with no toleraces or dimensions, this always leads to a phone call.

Regards, Julian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back