Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DIN3967f6S

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwoods

Automotive
May 21, 2007
GB
I have recently purchased DIN3967 gear standards in order to try and get a handle on some gear specifications we already have with respect to determining backlash.

A number of drawings we have which have been specified by a designer who has now left the company state the following as the quality class.

DIN3967f6s.

From the din3967 standard i have tolerance allowance series for tooth thickness from a to h and backlash modification values for gear quality class from 1 to 12. These are tabulated with respect to reference diameter and module respectively.

My question is that the make of of the above reference i am making the assumption that the letter f is derived from the tooth thickness allowance series and the number 6 refers to the gear tooth quality class. However i cannot find in DIN3967 any reference to the letter s?

This may be something simple i am missing.

Any ideas.

Many Thanks

Gary

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi gwoods,

it does happen that the letter s is used for a symmetrically placed tolerance field in a DIN standard.

e.g. for shafts does excist j6 as well as js6.

knd regards,
Gerrit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back