Nov 5, 2002
US
WHAT ARE THE BEST WAYS OF GRADING DIRT ROADS TO
REDUCE WASH BOARD BUMPS AND REMOVAL OF ROCKS
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SMOOTH A DIRT ROAD WITH THE ABOVE
PROBLEMS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My project engineer tells me the most important part of a road is drainage. Most drainage work can be accomplished using an excavator and a grader.
If you have a road that is poorly drained, you may need to make changes to your grade and install culverts or other cross-drains to channel your surface water. Water on the road can be diverted toward the sides by shaping the surface to a crown. If the road edges are shaped to a ditch, the natural slope should channel drainage. If you have a low point that won't drain on one side, you may install a culvert so that the drainage doesn't flood the road and erode a channel through it. If your low point has slopes on both sides, that gets a little more in-depth.
Most shaping work I see is planned using Autocad, and there may be preset models that just need fine-tuning.

The best way to develope a maintenance schedule. To remove washboard and ruts, and to save your gravel, blade from the shoulder to the centre, keeping in mind that the operator is striving to rejuvinate and re-establish a crown on the road. This must be done regularly, or after rainstorms. Re-gravelling will also assist in the prevention of washboard, but in areas such as hills or intersections, they are unavoidable. Prior to winter setting in, it is also a good idea to ensure the crown is at least 2% or greater. If this does not happen, it will be continuously problematic due to water shedding issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back