Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable dim override 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMuppet

Mechanical
May 4, 2009
AU
Is there any way of disabling the ability to override dimensions?

I have a rogue agent in my department that is a new level of useless, though is frustratingly talented at denial [evil]

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, I already use that macro to find to current offenders, very handy it is!

But I'm having to clean up someone else's mess. I was hoping to avoid the mess being made in the first place.

I'd really like to set up a really loud alarm every time it's used....
*Awooga* This idiot is overriding dimensions again *Awooga*

Back in the gold ole 2D days, I worked for a small engineering company running AutoCAD (Rel. 2.4 if you can believe it). We had guys that never really got the importance of drawing to exact scale, or using osnaps, or anything else that had to do with accuracy. We called it "free pointing". The paper drawings they produced looked ok but when the next guy got in there to do any work, he pulled his hair out.

We finally published written company CAD standards. The very first sentence was: "The next employee caught free-pointing will be shot."

We finally got control but it took a few firings to do it.

why override a dim when you can just change it's value and make it correct? I realize changing some dims may make a sketch not work correctly, but that comes down to knowing how to create robust sketches. Maybe more training? and a sharp stick.

MissMuppet,

Can you explain to management that 3D[ ]CAD, costing thousands and thousands of dollars, is absolutely based on scale models? If the scale model does not conform to the numbers on the fabrication drawing, any shop that trusts your DXF or SLDPRT files and any other designer that trusts the scale model, will screw up. If the CAD model is not to scale, you might as well be on a drafting board, with a calculator, or slide rule, or perhaps a box of crayons.

I have had JBoggs' experience with AutoCAD. I took over an assembly another drafter had worked on, and I found that he had changed dimensions by exploding them, and re-typing the text. I had to redraw everything. This is exactly what you are never supposed to do in 3D!

--
JHG

I know Solidworks shows various elements in different colors depending on their status. For example we have our system set to show all dangling dimensions in red. I would think it would be possible to write some routine that would enable SW to identify dimensions whose text does not include "<DIM>". Once identified they could then be displayed in a different color.

MissMuppet, it sounds like you already know how to find the over-ridden dimensions, and you already know the identity of the culprit. I am also guessing you are not the supervisor for the culprit and thus cannot discipline them, and that you also have some CAD focal and/or IT responsibility where you would like to turn off the function for the entire department. It also sounds like you have spoken to the offender at least once (the "denial") and the offender has proven unwilling to change their behavior.

If I understand all of the above correctly, and since persons far more expert than I cannot point to a disable button (nor can I), I think a conversation with the appropriate manager may be your best (or only?) option.

Of course there are almost certainly other variables of which I have no clue, so take the advice with the proverbial grain of salt.

Yes, as you all seem to have gleaned, unfortunately I am not in a position to reign in the offender. There is no lead in the Design office and management has no interest in "Drafting squabbles".

No budget for training, the offender is a permanent employee who has 3 years of rubbish drawings and schmoozing behind them, and I am a contractor who has only been here 6 months.
It's not even old school habits, the offender is a layperson who floundered their way into this position with zero training and is squatting like a troll in their staff position. Yes, I am bitter about it [tongue]

Also, because of these awful drawings, the workshop no longer trusts the drawings and do their own thing. It astounds me that this has not become a serious issue, or even an issue at all.

Any time any problems are raised, there are only denials, and now opinion is turning against me as a trouble maker.
I do try so very hard to do a little training and share knowledge, but some people refuse to learn.
*sigh* It's places like this where you lose that precious pride in your work.

But thank you all for your input, it's so reassuring to know I am not being unreasonable. And I feel better for the vent [bigsmile]

I've been where you're at - many times. It appears that you and the "offender" have similar jobs and that you are "lower on the totem pole" than he is. So you have no real power to effect change.

Please take this advice from and old dog who, somehwat uncharacteristically, still likes to learn new tricks. Until management recognizes a problem, most efforts to fix it will just end in frustration. That is one of many truisms about business life that we all either accept and learn to live with or die early from ulcers and heart attacks. It's not something you're going to change. Period.

Having been "the new guy" in several places, and being one who I think takes an above average pride in their work, here's my advice for you: Do the best job you can do. I don't say that as just another glib motivational phrase. I mean it. Go out of your way to make sure your "customers" (the users of your drawings) are always happy with your work. Ask for their input and suggestions. Show them that you care about their satisfaction. You will find that they will prefer working with you. Over time, the general perception there will be that your work is of a higher quality and more reliable than your cohort's work. Never make any negative comments about his work in public. Just let the quality of your work speak for itself. The difference will be obvious. You are building a market base. You are also building job security. When management begins to hear the users asking for you over him, then they will know there is a difference. They might even ask the users why they prefer you. That's when the acceptable standards and practices MIGHT begin to change, ever so slightly, over time. When they need something special done, you will be the go-to guy or gal. You will be the high quality source.

It is impossible to impose your own standards for quality on anyone else. You can enforce a minimum performance level if you have that power, but you cannot create an inner desire for excellence in someone if it doesn't already exist. One of my co-workers who has been here for decades and has outlived several management regimes has often said "they never gave us time to do things right or completely." The phrase "minimum essential design" was the standard. I understand the need for efficiency and speed, but over the years that phrase became an excuse for incomplete and inaccurate work, and eventually it became a way of life.

Look at it this way - the situation just makes it that much easier for you to shine! How do I know this will happen? I've done it... several times in several places.

Hang in there for the long haul. Learn patience and acceptance. Do not sweat stuff you cannot change. But never accept low standards for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back