Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable "Mate Xpert"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwsink

Automotive
Mar 22, 2006
US
Sigh...So much for "Enhancement". The MateXpert is about to send me through the roof. I can't control the thing when I try to flip alignment of a mate. It ends up causing more issues than I ever had without it. As far as I'm concerned, scrap the MateXpert and just keep the RMB selections to "Flip Alignment" and "Flip Dimension". Or at least allow the user to control which mates will flip or something. There's no rhyme or reason to which ones it will change. It goes so far as to flip a mate that I'm unsuppressing and other mates I've already setup that do not conflict, after I've already setup the other mates that I want, correctly with no conflicts. I've destroyed more assy's in seconds than I've had it save me time!

Which leads to the question! Anyway to disable the MateXpert?

Craig Sink
Mechanical Engineer
Force Design, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cory,

Not sure how I'd just "not used it". If you flip a mate's alignment, the MateXpert functionality will correct any conflicts automatically. That's what is giving me fits.

Craig Sink
Mechanical Engineer
Force Design, Inc.

I shouldn't have tempted fate and asked that question!

Till this morning I had not experienced the problem you described. A couple of times when a mate problem had surfaced, I was asked if I wanted to use MateXpert. I did once just to try it and it worked fine. The other time I declined because I could see that it would be a very simple manual fix.

However, this morning I replaced a part in an assy and all sorts of mate problems showed up. I was not given an option to use MateXpert so proceeded to fix manually. First "fix" created a nightmare of flipped parts and rapidly got worse.
My solution turned out to be very simple. Instead of replacing, I just deleted the part and inserted the new one.

[cheers]

Yeesh... that doesn't sound promising. I always thought assembly mating functionality in SW left quite a bit to be desired, but it sounds like MateXpert makes that situation even worse.

There needs be to some kind of control over which mate is "fixed" if the user creates a conflict. Random selection (at least it appears that way) is NOT an effective solution. I've even had the MateXpert flip a mate's alignment rather than flip the part 180 degrees even though there were only 2 mates on that part!?! Minimum, there needs to be some consistency on which types of mates change first or something. Or at least the option to not use it.

Craig Sink
Mechanical Engineer
Force Design, Inc.

This has been a problem with us too. I talked with a SolidWorks rep who said he would get back to me. I will post anything I find out.

SA

I wouldn't say its scary...for the most part. And I wouldn't say that this makes this release worse than 2006. However, it is a good thing to be aware of. You'll learn to work with it, but it can be frustrating and time consuming. I'm not trying to sway your opinion one way or the other, but I wouldn't let this one thing keep you from installing 2007. However, if there are other reasons, that's fine too.

Just thought I'd clarify...

Craig Sink
Mechanical Engineer
Force Design, Inc.

dogarila ... the mate problem is really very minor. So far the problems I've had were very easy to fix. The first time threw me a bit because I wasn't expecting it. The second time was a piece of cake. I suppressed all the "in conflict" mates in the sub-assy,except for the one causing the problem, flipped that one, then unsuppressed the others. The solutions will vary with how the assy is mated.

This is definitely NOT a show stopper. As I mentioned earlier, I had not experienced any problems till I tempted fate and responded in this thread.

[cheers]

PDMAdmin said:
I'm not aware of a way to disable MateXpert.
Sbaugh said:
There is not away to shut this option off in an assembly.
CBL said:
If you RMB click on any of those "problem" mates you should see an option to activate Mate XPert
I fixed them manually, but if I RMB-click to activate Mate Xpert, you would think there is a way to de-activate it. dogarila is discouraged to install 2007, but if Mate Xpert isn't automatic, then it's the wrong reason NOT to install it.

SW07 SP2.0

Flores

In previous versions, if the flipping or changing of a mate caused other mates to be in conflict, an error message was given to the user and they decided how to proceed.
But now;
SW Whats New said:
During editing, the software changes the alignment of related mates automatically if necessary to prevent introducing mate errors.
So it appears to be using some of the "intelligence" of the MateXpert, but without opening the MateXpert dialogue box.

[cheers]

I was doing a demo of best mating practices and got spaghetti sauce all over my shirt. I had two fully mated channels and since I was editing old mates when I unsuppressed the next mate one of my channels flipped upside down and end for end putting the next component on the wrong end of the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back