Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Disadvantages / Issues of a Geodesic dome roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRJJ

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2005
GB
I am currently looking at what the advantages and more importantly the disadvantages of using an aluminium geodesic dome roof tank in lieu of a carbon steel floating roof.
I am looking for information from an operations point of view and not the cost.
Tank >40m dia with a petroleum product.

I have searched online however there really is not a lot of specific information on the disadvantages/issues while in operation, lots of information however on the advantages, although most linked to the sales of such product.

Regards,

JRJJ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All, apologies I am referring to a floating steel roof that would float on the product, in comparison of a geodesic dome roof.
The steel floating roof is proven in a petrochemical environment, even with fires ( so long as a sufficient foam system is in use) recently I have seen an increase in (mainly sellers) a push for geodesic roofs to replace steel floating roofs however I am sceptical they are a better long term solution and was just looking for information to either back up my thoughts or reassure me that they are indeed a viable alternative.
As the geodesic roof is new to me I really do not know what pitfalls I could encounter, in particular i have doubts on the caulking/sealing of the panels.
Further would an alluminum structure not 'easily' fail in the event of a fire in the product?
I would really appreciate comments on any experience you have had.

Thanks

JJRJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back