Disagreements with the Authorized Inspector 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdanPV

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2019
IL
Hello All,

I have some disagreements with the A.I with Code related issues (I can give more details if needed)
The thing is, I think that something needs to be done in one way and the A.I disagree.
I gave him a lot of interpretation and quotes from the Code showing I am right.
But he keeps tell me that he will not approve.

The question is a bit general, does the A.I can tell me to do something just because "he said so"? Is there any paragraph in the Code stated that the A.I need to give background and evidence to his decisions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UG-(90)(c)(1) "Inspector shall make all inspections specifically required of him plus such other inspections as he believes are necessary to enable him to certify that all vessels which he authorizes to be stamped with the Certification Mark have been designed and constructed in accordance with the requirements of this Division".

Also, U-2(f): "The rules of this Division shall serve as the basis for the inspector to: Perform he required Duties, authorize the application of the Certification Mark, Sign the Certificate of shop inspection."

The inspector should be able to show you in the Code where you are deficient. Call the AIA....then ASME themselves.

Curious as to the issue.

Ultimately it's the AI's call as to whether or not he signs off on the Manufacturer's Data Report. Despite countless revisions and interpretations there are still "gray areas" in the code, and if you and your AI cannot come to an agreement you can always reach out to his supervisor at the AIA to see if you can get an appeal.

-Christine

I've had more than one issue with an AI. I always go to the AIA for redress and most often the AI is required to see the truth of the matter - not his interpretation.

@Idan - there have been times that I thought I was right but turned out there was something I was missing. The opposite has been true too. If you post the details, perhaps this community can either help illustrate the AI's views or reaffirm your view... or go to the AIA.

Sounds like you have a fun AI.

When I was an AI, I never made a call without a reference, and always made an effort to work with the client to find a solution. Try to work with your AI and find that solution. Honestly if this is a sticking point, THEY should be contacting their supervisor well before you to make sure they are making a good call. Some AIA's will give great support, others will ignore you and let the AI handle everything. Good luck.

Here is the thing (and this is only an example)
The company I work in has an "S" stamp and we manufacturing a very small size (boilers that do not exceed the limits of PMB-2.1) Electrical Boilers.
The BEP is mechanically assembled, not welded.

A.I wants that our Q.C personals, which perform NDE (mostly P.T and visual examinations) will be qualified and certified per ASME B31.1.

I don’t see any reason for that, maybe I am wrong.

Are the NDE examinations purely for your own Quality Control checks or mandated by B31.1? If mandaated by B31.1, all of our inspectors doing inspection required under B31.1 were certified ASNT Level II to make judgement calls. As the Level III for the company, it was my duty to train, test and certify the inspectors in accordance with our
Quality Mamual.

level 1

In times like these, it would help to get their supervisor involved as well as yours.

Sometimes bringing others into a discussion especially those that are higher up can create a new dialogue that can yield an understanding.

I have done this a few times with inspectors actually and it always work.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back