Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing dimension lines in viewports!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fozzie

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2002
GB
I have a problem using acad 2000 in Windows 2000 (at work) which I don,t seem to have in XP (at home)in that after creating a 3D model in model space if I then try to dimension it or balloon reference it, any dimension leader lines or balloon leaders are hidden by the viewport and only those parts of the dims or leaders outside the viewports are visible as if the viewports were opaque not transparent.

Is there a system variable I'm missing or a known problem with acad 2000 in Win 2000??

any ideas or help apreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the viewport in Layout not showing the info? What do you mean by "you are still able to see the portions not within the viewport". Do you see them within other viewports or something else. There is an ability to hide certain layers within viewports. Could this be the case?

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right "
.. Henry Ford

In Psace, double click inside the viewport of concern. then while inside the viewport, click the 2D wireframe.

If a model is hidden, or rendered in the vport it will do what you are saying is happening.

Marshall

Perhaps your problem is similar to one that I had a while ago with AutoCAD 2002 SP1 using NVidia graphics card.

I created a model in model space, created paper space viewports to view the model. The paper space viewports were set to perspective (not normal parallel) hidden view. I found that paperspace objects that were over the viewports were not visible on screen, but plotted correctly. Paper space objects outside the viewports were visible as normal.

If your dimensions are in paper space then you may be having a similar problem. I do not know of a fix or a system variable, other than changing the viewport to parallel projection. The problem may lie somewhere in combination between AutoCAD and the graphics system.

If you are using any kind of shading in the viewport other than 2D wireframe, you won't be able to see anything that you draw in paperspace that is inside the bounds of the viewport. Switch your shade in the viewport to 2D wire frame. This should allow you to see your dimensions.

Good luck,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back