Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing Pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wittenborn

Aerospace
Jun 5, 2003
US
Greetings,

I have created a title block for our company drawings, saved the pattern data, and import the pattern into UG.

Everything looks good, and we get good results. I save the part file I am working in, including the pattern, and close UG. I come back, and the pattern is missing! Why does the pattern disappear?

A coworker tries to import the exact same pattern (same file) and he gets a title block with disappearing lines? If he deletes the pattern he just imported, exits out of UG, restarts, comes back into the file, and reimports the title block pattern, everything looks good!

The pattern file is a read only file. Could that have something to do with the problem?

This is really annoying, and I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem???

Regards,
Grant Wittenborn
Aerospace Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you set the UGII_Patdir in the ugii_env.dat file to the directory where your patterns are located. You can use environment variables, if they are defined in your ugii_env.dat file.

# UGII_PATDIR is used to locate pattern files when they are retrieved.
UGII_PATDIR=c:\pattern_dir or ${PATTERN_Dir}

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the help.

I set our pattern path in the UGII_PATDIR field, and it still drops the patterns.

First question: Is it OK to have spaces in the path name?

Second question: Where did you learn all of this wonderful stuff?

Regards,
Grant Wittenborn
Aerospace Engineer

Was the original pattern pulled from the ugii_patdir location with the same file name?

1. Spaces should be okay as UG is 'microsoft compliant', but we don't use spaces in our directory names out of habit.

2. 16+ years on UG. I started using UG back in the wireframe days of verison 3.x in the spring of 1986 with 2 days of training. I have done design work, (Airbag modules) including surfacing, NC programming, Tool Design, GRIP programming and system administration.

Now I have the fun job of learning Pro/Engineer (2000i2, 2001 and Wildfire), Pro/Intralink (3.1, 3.2 and 3.3) and PDMLink.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I never use spaces... UG can handle it in some cases, but many times it does not, and does not give feedback as such. In fact, I remember when NX 1.0 was released, it was the first time that UG was installed into \Program Files\EDS\Unigraphics NX, I was getting a lot of misc. errors. I reinstalled to \UGNX, most of those problems are gone now...
In the case of the UGII_PATDIR, I would assume that this is the problem. Try to define it in the Windows system enviroment, rather than UG's enviroment files.

-Derek
DL Engineering Services

specializing in Unigraphics Design Consultation Services

I feel for you Ben, I am on the other side of the fence, I have about 8 years pro/e and am learning UG NX, I think I may have the easier task LOL

I know your job will be easier. UG documentation and help files at least explain things and in some cases give examples. PTC help files are worthless and useless.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Grant,

I've also had difficulty with portions of patterns disappearing as you indicated. I found this to occur when I used Select All in part when updating or replacing patterns.
Since then I've been using the class selection option and have had no problems with pattern entities disappearing.

Also it seems that UG needs to have the patterns in session to load them when you open your drawing file.
I've found it useful to assemble the pattern files if they only contain drafting entities this will make them load with your part and allow you to make pattern changes by making the pattern the displayed part.

A good workaround for getting pattern data in session if you are still having problems with that would be to make an assembly of your used pattern files and open that first.

I've found that most of the time I have to use workarounds on UG to get even simple things done, I'm glad I never did any QA work for EDS.

Michael
UG [thumbsdown]
Pro/E [thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back