Disc thickness in butterfly valve 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmbguide

Mechanical
Apr 8, 2016
DE
Hi Experts,
Is there any standard for disc thickness in butterfly valves? If not, how can it be calculated?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A friend of mine once got an A+ grade at an oral examination being asked how a certain technical construction should be calculated.

The professor expected the answer to be referring to a complicated mathematical nomogram developed and presented during his lessons, but my friends answer was: 'The construction should be calculated to bear the load it was intended to take'. The professors reaction: 'Excellent!'.

And isn't this true for every construction?

Hi everyone,

On the jimer document, there is a formula had been given for the disc thickness on butterfly valves. Actually, it seems mental but there is no reference was given for that formula. We need to have the source. If anyone have this kind of information, could you provide us, please?

BTW, It is not for an aim, just for general information.

Thanks,

Proof test or FEA.

I have designed valves with hand calculations but had to have a conservative assumptions and ended up with a thick disk that left not much hole.

In the jimer document, it states the formula is based on a simply supported flat disc with uniform load. It is clearly a rework of a Roark formula to solve for thickness given an allowable stress. To get the formula, get the textbook "Roark's formulas for stress and strain".

To supplement bcd's answer about Roark formula to calculate thickness for a given allowable stress, I would also calculate deflection at the center of the disc. Too much deflection will bow the disc and obviously loose tightness, eventho. you may be within the allowable stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back