Disconcerting info on company found out. Interview very soon. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpierce

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2004
US
Long time reader. First time poster.

A little background: I've been looking for my first permanent job in a certain area of NC for a few months since graduating in May (BSME). I've got close to 2 years in co-op experience as a design engineer with a major outfit (who I'm still with on a temporary basis until I find permanent employment) and a fair amount of UG experience for an entry level prospect.

One of our marketing guys here deals a lot with a company that I'm scheduled to interview with on Monday. He actually made a trip to their facility yesterday and during a regular conversation with someone he mentioned his chat with myself about interviewing there. The other person informed him that there have been 8 engineers to quit in the last 2 months because of a new engineering manager and that the position that I'm interview for must be to replace some of those guys. And one thing that makes me believe so is there are 6 listings on Monster for different engineering positions with this company.

So my dilemma is that I can take a whole day off of work and just listen to what they have to say. Or just bow out now and not waste my time or theirs. I'm on the fence here, but leaning towards heading up there. I've really got nothing to lose but money out of the deal though.

Questions, comments, words of wisdom?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fcsuper,

Your options are always open. Your bargaining chip is better if you are already working though.

Is it not better to be gaining experience while you are still looking for work?

mbpierce,

Be careful not to be too fussy about your first job. Very few of us got our ideal job straight out of college. But if you dont feel right about it then thats another matter.

csd

"Your options are always open. Your bargaining chip is better if you are already working though."

Naw, I don't agree with this as stated, though the sentiment is correct. A better way to state it is "Your bargaining chip is better if you don't need the job." Need is of course your own perception.

I've been without work and had people through money at me, but been employed and couldn't get the time of day (all in the same 6 month period).

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
sw.fcsuper.com
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group

The good thing is that I actually have a job currently though not permanent with my employer that I co-oped with. My boss has cleared it so that I may stay through the end of the year if need be. I'm not yet desperate for a job so I have some freedom there.

Is the job relevant to engineering, or is it just a fill-in job. If you are getting relevant experience where you are then you probably can afford to wait a bit for a better position.

But most places will not take on new people over the christmas period.

csd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back