Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnecting drawing view from model? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirDeveloper

Structural
Feb 17, 2011
Hi,

I've created an assembly and moved it to a position where I get the particular display I want, and added that to a drawing sheet using the current view.

I want to move some parts of the assembly, and display it on another sheet.

However, as soon as I change the assembly, the drawing on the first sheet changes. I've tried many things in an effort to simply keep the drawing I have on sheet 1, including saving the assembly in another file. I find it odd that simply opening the renamed assembly file still changes the drawing on sheet 1. I'm curious as to why this should happen, but I'd really like to know how I can lock down the drawing I have so that I can make whatever changes I like in the assembly without affecting the drawing.

Thanks,

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did something like this recently - I bet there's a better way, but here's what I did:

Create a new configuration (let's say config.2), set the model to where you want it, then insert that into your drawing as a view. Use the default config. on the other views. If there are parts that need to move, suppress them in config. 2, add in a copy of the part you just suppressed and leave this new one UNsuppressed.

You're now free to position as you require and can switch between positions in your drg. by right clicking > properties > config. info and selecting which ever you need.

Be careful if you add in parts subsequently as you may need to do some more suppress/unsuppress work to make things right. I had good results with this, and any changes you make to the part will roll through all config's too.

Hope this helps!

Instead of using "Current View", when you get your assembly view aligned as you want press the spacebar and create a named view. Then in your drawing use teeh named view. You can create as many of these named views as you need. For the moved parts view, you will still need a new configuration. If the orientation is the same, you can reuse the named view but change the configuration.

Thanks for that. The view angle doesn't need to change so I didn't need named views (but can see that will be handy in future). Adding another configuration was easy! Cheers!

Yep... configs are the way to do this. You can also look into display states if all you need to do is hide/show certain items for clarity. But as far as moveable parts in different locations... use configs.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back