Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dished end with small convex

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy74

Petroleum
Jan 19, 2006
PL
Hello
How to calculate a dished end with small convex? ratio H/D=0,12(H-height of end, D-diameter of end). I can't find any formulas covering this type of dished ends.
Thank you for any help.
Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this a conventional dished head with a portion at the center inverted? Or is the whole head turned with pressure on convex side?

Andy74
ASME VIII, Div 1, Appendix 1 has design formulas for torispherical heads of various proportions. In UG-32 the standard ASME Torispherical head has a dish radius that is 100% of the vessel diameter. The knuckle radius is 6% of the vessel diameter. This gives an H/D ratio of about 0.17, so clearly your vessel head is even flatter than that. I was not aware that there were any veseel codes that permitted shallower heads than that. My impression was that the euro codes did not allow heads as shallow as the ASME Codes.

Joe Tank

Yes, but this type of dished head is used for non pressure vessel for Diesel fuel, gasoline. This type of vessel is not covered by PED, but they are supervised by technical office inspector, and inspector wants to see a strength calculation. Some firms make a storage vessel for gasoline using this type of dished, and I was wondering how did they calculate this.
Andy

andy74, if you are talking about a flat head with a knuckle and skirt, I beleive it is commonly called "Flanged Only", see UG-34.

Regards,

Mike

It's not a flat head with a knuckle and not a typical torispherical head, it's looks like torispherical head but very flattened (out of range of any known by me formulas)
Andy

andy74, torispherical heads are also called F&D heads (Flanged & Dished). The shallower heads are often not ASME heads, because they do not meet the dimensional requirements of ASME as to dish radius, etc. but are still commercially available. I would calculate as a sphere of whatever the dish radius is, as that portion of the head is spherical. Add forming allowance as recommended by the head vendor. See this link for variety of styles and give them a call. They may be able to steer you to a rating.

Regards,

Mike

I'm still not clear on the exact profile. However, if it's small enough and unpressurized, check it as a flat plate (possibly using large-deflection equations) per Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain. If that shows it's adequate, it should be close enough for just about any kind of shallow dish. You could also look at just a strip across the diameter as a beam or catenary and check strength that way.

Part of engineering judgment is knowing when something doesn't need engineering, although that's kind of hard to get across sometimes.

"The shallower heads are often not ASME heads, because they do not meet the dimensional requirements of ASME as to dish radius, etc. but are still commercially available." That's what i'm talking about, if they do not meet the dimensional requirements of ASME and PED and DIN how they are commercially available? How it is possible?

I can't calculate this as a flat head, thickness is too big.

andy74, you can buy all kinds of things that do not meet a given code or specification, because they are intended for other purposes. Plate, sheet, tubing, bolting, flanges, heads, you name it.

Have you tried calculating as a sphere of whatever your dish radius is?

Not clear what code you're working to, but ASME Sec VIII Div 1 also has a formula for dish only heads in Appendix 1-6

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back