Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dishwasher Make-up Air from Basement Carpark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buildtech2

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2012
QA
In our current project, We have no option left to take make-up air for the dishwasher area except from basement carpark but due to the toxic chemicals (carbon monoxide) contained in vehicle exhaust system, we cannot directly take make-up air. I would like to know if there is any possibility to take make-up air from basement carpark by considering activated carbon filter plus chemical scrubber filter. Can we get rid of harmful effect of CO by considering such filters Can authority accept such proposal. Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@HVAC-Novice: Being a professional engineer, I still come across few challenges where I need expert opinion from other professionals who already came across such case study and successfully resolved it. Here we are only discussing about fresh air intake but not exhaust.

You can't legally bring air from a garage (exhaust requirement) into a building. Exhaust means, it needs to leave the building (exhausted). There is more than CO and NOx in garage air. There isn't a simple (or even complex) way to clean the air that would satisfy JHA.

I suspect the legal situation is very similar in all jurisdictions. You should review YOUR local codes and consult JHA.

My guess is there probably are options left but they're more expensive. I would start thinking about core-drilling or digging. I don't know all of your constraints but it sounds like underground duct to the outdoors or long lengths of duct with inline fans may be required.

I don't know what code you're using but where I am, exhaust is not required for commercial dishwasher. You might look into just dumping it into the space and dehumidifying. Again, I have no idea how big/small the dishwasher/space is.

@Buildtech2 Double check your codes, but ICC Int' Mechanical Code (IMC) does not allow air from select spaces including enclosed garages to be circulated through an occupied space.

How much outside air are you bringing into the space already? General OA for a dining room or kitchen can be exhausted through the kitchen / dishwasher hood.

Keep in mind also the ventilation/OA volumes specified in IMC are minimums, you can exceed them. Only your air handling equipment will present any real limitations.

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments. No code allow us to take the make-up air from car park to the Dishwasher area. The possibility of considering scrubber chemical filter is a very expensive option and may not be acceptable to the authorities. So I am not considering this option anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back