Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Screens for SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilbert247

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2004
GB
Hi Everyone,

The company I work for are looking into phasing out the old CRT Monitors that, due to their age, are beginning to fail.

I have been asked to asses the option of going to TFT/LCD Monitors.

My question is ... Is there a preffered standard, in terms of size/screen resolution/contrast ratio/access time, that you the community feel best works well for the Solidworks application.

I would be grateful to hear your comments.

Andy Gulliver - SW2007 SP3/PDMWorks2007 Workgroup
2.6 MHz P4 - 2GB RAM/128MB Quadro FX1400

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the general consensus is that larger/wider is better. Other specs are fairly subjective, although I believe if you're doing any rendering you're going to want the contrast ratio to be as good as you can get. Latency is probably not going to be too big an issue as long as you get to 20ms or less.

I just recently 'inherited' a LCD monitor of a guy who recently left the company. I think the widescreen is one of the best things you can get for Solidworks. I would get as big of a monitor as you can afford. Like handleman says, just make sure the specs are good.

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

My criteria (in order of importance):

- Screen size range suitable for viewing distance (in my situation 21-24", no smaller, no larger)
- Resolution: as high as possible, 1920x1200 minimum
- Decent color reproduction
- Sufficient backlight to work at 3/4 of max setting (headroom for lamp wear!)
- Decent contrast ratio @ 3/4 of max brightness
- Even lighting
- Looks / stand / cable management

Samsungs panels have allways worked well for me (both in Dell & Samsung branded monitors)

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer

I agree. A min of 21" AND widescreen. Once you go widescreen, you will not go back to "the others". ;)

Chris
SolidWorks 07 3.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

Check into the lesser-known specs, too. If color matters to you AT ALL, you'll want to view one of the monitors in action before purchasing. I do lots of work with color and images (rendering), so I need to know what I'm really working with. Many monitors lose all color definition when the color approaches black (charcoal gray)--so you have no idea what you've got in those areas (think of photos with slight shadows--they just black out).

Another thing is that cheesy monitors won't let you see the screen from a slight angle from normal. If you get a really big monitor, this won't work, since you'll have areas of the monitor that won't show well (especially if you're sitting close). Imagine bobbing your head around to get a better view (like looking through a microwave oven door)--not very helpful.

Monitors have improved drastically and the prices have fallen the same. But there is still a lot of lame crap out there for sale.

By the way, I use a Gateway 21" widescreen. I can plug in HDMI (if I ever want to) along with all sorts of other stuff--I threw away my TV.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Thank you for all the info. I have some good feedbacks points to create a generic spec to look for.

Best Regards

Andy

Andy Gulliver - SW2007 SP3/PDMWorks2007 Workgroup
2.6 MHz P4 - 2GB RAM/128MB Quadro FX1400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back