Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying part family spreadsheet data on the non-master drawing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrintScaffold

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2006
RU
Greetings all!

I know this is an old question, but I didn’t find any solid answer so far.

If I have a part family and want to put data from it in the table on a drawing, I have no problem if drawing is located in the same part as the model. But if it is a non-master drawing, I there is a problem: NX won’t allow access to the part family spreadsheet of the component.

Is there a way around?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How did you go about getting the data from the Family Table 'spreadsheet' into the Tabular Note?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I place the table and use Import > Spreadsheet.
It works if the drawing is in the same part.
It does not when drawing is non-master.
Is there a way to make it work?

Can you provide me one of these 'part family' parts which behave in this manner?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Yes, with pleasure!
This is a simple test file. The task is to create the similar drawing in the 'Part family drawing.prt' as already exists in the 'Part family.prt' (which is the part family master file), automatically.
I could not do this so far. Can this be done at all? Is there a technique? Am I missing some crucial step? If you could help me, I'd be very grateful!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0673c320-3ffd-44c2-89c5-513496a24202&file=Part_family_research.zip
I still cannot see HOW you managed to get the Part Family Spreadsheet data into the Tabular Note, at least not automatically. Please explain, step-by-step, how you got the contents of the Part Family SPREADSHEET into the TABULAR NOTE.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I will do that tonorrow, when I am in front of my NX.
But, in a word, I followed NX own help file.
Did I do anything wrong, or at least, in a weird way?
In this case, what is the correct way to fill the tabular note on a drawing with part family data?

The reason I'm asking specifically about how you did this is because the ability to create a Tabular Note, directly from a Part Family Spreadsheet, is an Enhancement Request (along with a bunch of other Part Family related issues) which we're currently looking at for a future release of NX.

BTW, whatever you did (and this is why I've questioned the method you used) while you might think you've linked the Tabular Note to the Part Family spreadsheet, that's not actually the case. If I edit the Part Family Spreadsheet in your part file, those changes never make it to your Tabular Note.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I'm back.

No need to describe how I import part family spreadsheet into a tabular not in my own words, because I strictly follow the NX help entry entitled 'Import a part family spreadsheet'.

To import a family table spreadsheet into a tabular note:
1.On the Table toolbar, click Tabular Note or choose Insert→Table→Tabular Note
2.Click to place the tabular note at the desired location
3.Select the top most empty cell of the tabular note.
4.Right-click and choose Import→Spreadsheet.
5.In the Import Spreadsheet dialog box, from the Spreadsheet list, select Family Table.
6.Select the appropriate Sheet or Range options.
7.Click OK or Apply.

The resulting table retains some associativity with the part family spreadsheet. If I edit the values within it, the changes are reflected on the drawing as well. But if I add lines, they are not added on the drawing version of table.

So the questions are:
Is this a correct way to show part family table of the drawing?
Is there other way to associatively display part family table?
Is there way to associatively display part family table on the non-master drawing (part family master as a component)?

OK, I finally figured it out...

So to your last three questions, the answers are:

1) Yes

2) Not that I'm aware of.

3) NO

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

ER's should really come directly from customers. Please feel free to contact GTAC and have them open the ER, which only needs to cover #3 on your list. After all, #1 works so why do we need #2?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Well, I'll do that then.

#1 Works, but it's not fully associative.
It does not add new lines on the drawing, when they are added to the part family.
So I'd say that #1 needs to be improved.

I've come up with a method for creating a tablular that updates automatically from a part family. It works on theoretical parts and I'd be curious if anyone has tried this method and can see holes. This is based on NX8.0.3.4 in TeamCenter8.3.3 but I think the principle would work in native. I'm attaching a PDF. I would welcome any feedback on this concept.

Drew

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a1960fdc-4053-4f3b-ac6b-4abfdeab3ad6&file=Tabular_Drawing_Process_Concept_2013-04-17.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back