Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disposal of wood ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

moti12

Civil/Environmental
May 12, 2003
IN
dear friend
i am nandita from India.
i would like to know the desposal of wood ash. we are using wood as fuel in Hot air genrator. the analysis result of wood ash is as under

ph 7.9
water soluble 2.739
ca 0.256
mg 0.005
Na 0.492
HCo3 1.635
cl 0.063
So4 0.288
SO3 0.240
Na2so4 0.426
water insoluble 97.261
Acid soluble 61.6
Cao 37.9
Mgo 3.6
Fe2o3 6.00
Al2o3 37.5
SIO2 7.3
SO3 7.3
Acid insoluble 37.5
organic matter 0.9
Moisture 1.36

all parameters are expressed in percentage on dry weight basis except PH and Moisture.
Moistere expressed in percentage by weight
PH measured on 10% suspension of dry ash powder
the water soluble analysis carried out on 10% suspension of dry ash powder
the chemical analysis of acid soluble carried out in Hcl.

nandita dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wood ash is traditionally used for fertilizer; it is high in potash (potassium). Maybe phosphorus, too.

It may be necessary to do analyses to verify that the heavy metals are negligible. I sure hope that you don't use CCA (copper chromate arsenate) treated wood in India.

Ken

Dear Friend,

Wood ash is a tradational fertilizer. Alternately, you can contact some polymeric resin manufacturer and explore the possibility of using this ash as filler in polymer compounding. This will probably give you some value addition.

dear mr.Ken and Mr. drviawanathan

Thank you very much for your guidence. i have noted your suggestion and we use the same in solving our problem. Thank you .
Nandita dave

Hi Nandita,
Your woodash disposal problem is very interesting. Woodash and flyash both are of almost have same density. They can fly easily due to less weight.The flyash disposal techniques can be used for the woodash also.Some research may be needed towards the reuse of woodash. There is limited resesarch on the disposal and reuse of woodash.
I hope it is good to start doing research on the same.
Thanking you
wish u all the best
Darga Kumar, N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back