Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

distance between comm cables and power cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecialSystems

Electrical
Jan 27, 2005
US
I am trying to find technical spec or code that gives me an actual distance that power cabling (for equipment or service entrance)and communication cabling must be spaced apart from each other. I am aware that under certain conditions the NEC allows them to be run together. My concern is for noise/EMF and I am seeking a code or standard that specifies any required spacing. Maybe it is in EIA/TIA standards, but I do not have a copy currently. Can someone let me know where I may find this specific data. I know a manufacturers recomendation may cover this, but that isnt what I am seeking..Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I'm aware, there is no standard for separation as it pertains to noise...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

This might answer your question.

Electrical / Electronic Engineers Area - Electric power engineering Forum
djkross (Electrical)8 replies29 Jun 09 (29 Jun 09)
Electrical/Comm. cable separation?

Hey controls Dude,

I went to the location you specified and there are about 6 posts on June 29th of 09. None of those have anything to do with what I am seeking. Here in washington state I have found a state code that specifies a 2 inch restriction, but I am looking to see if anyone has another standard or national code that may apply.

But thanks for your time to make the reply it is appreciated!

Being that you're in WA state, look closely at your state codes. My little experience with WA, their state electrical codes were far stricter than what's common in other places.

That is a very application specific question, so I don't believe you will find a standard. Several factors come into play:

- Voltage and current of power leads (noise source)
- Voltage and current of signal leads (noise receptor)
- Cable type (shielded, unshielded, singled ended ground, double ended ground - noise path)
- and the cable routing (inductive coupling of the current or capacitive coupling of the voltage - noise path)

A manufacturer can define most of these variables for their equipment, otherwise it is up to the installer.

John D

There is a standard for space seperation between A/C voltage and communication cabling. Can be found in the Electrical Code Book, believe it is minimum of 3" if ran parallel if cable is shielded. But, it is good practice not to run in parallel if you can avoid it and only run across where necassary. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back