Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

distilation data

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavye

Chemical
Dec 22, 2010
IL
hi,
I want to seperate Propylene carbonate from Propylene glycol (in a liquid solution)...
can someone refer me to a data source of Vapor liquid Equilibrium chart of thos two chemicals?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like the boiling points are about 60 C apart. Should be an easy distillation.
Regards
StoneCold

maybe,
but i need to calculate how high is the distillation tower, so i need number of plates at least... i have "Fenske's" equation but for that i need the average volatility of those two. didnt fint that until this point.

depends on final purity of the two streams and cost of energy to decide how many plates.

Lavye
The best way to size the tower is a quality simulation. If you don't have that then you should get your flow rate into the column. The inlet coposition, and desired outlet compostion and either let a tower vender size the column or get an outside contractor to size the column. If the column is very big it will totally be worth the money. If it is very small you may want to go with Fenke's and wing it.

Regards
StoneCold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back