Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distillation Column Simulation Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdrras

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2006
US
I was wondering if there was any software out there that can help cut down the iterative process of the Fenske-Underwood-Gilliland equations/correlations to estimate the key parameters in a distillation coumn or possibly any other software that may be helpful in distillation design and simulation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

StLENG,

In the design of distillation columns I have always looked to HySYS or Aspen for the simulation. All you need to know are inlet and outlet conditions and reflux ratio if I am remembering correctly. You also have to specify the correct EOS (i.e. Reidlich-Kwong, UNIQUAC, etc.). These programs should help. Unfortunately, a copy of HySYS is very expensive so best you find a colleague that has a copy on his machine. If you can't get your hands on these programs then you are going to have to search the internet or design with pen & paper.

Kyle

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it. I work at the Air Force Research Laboratory, os I'm sure the monetary value won't be much of a problem. Again, thanks for the info.

This is not quite the proper forum for your post. I would recommend "Chemical Process Engineering" instead.

There is prior correspondence regarding process simulation software in thread798-156981. There, I recommend consideration of PD Plus, a full-blown process simulator available for a nominal cost (approx. $2000), which is a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for one of the established products such as Hysys.

PD Plus was written by Dick Russell, a noted expert in process simulation and author of a modified inside-out method that converges rigorous distillation calculations, typically in a fraction of a second. You can get more details at
Have fun.

Thanks for the input. It was a toss up between putting it here or in the Chem E section. Because this is for a fluid designed system and simulation, I felt the design was more of a MechE application rather than a Chem E. I'll try posting it in the other forum to see if I get any other responses. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back