Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DISTILLATION TOWER SIDE STRIPPERS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahabemk

Chemical
Mar 3, 2016
NL
In our condensate distillation unit , kerosene cut and gas oil cut rates frequently change dramatically, that exceeds capacity of kerosene stripper. We are thinking about installation of valving system to change strippers,and allocate gas oil stripper which is larger, in kerosene service and vice versa. Is this a good idea?
Best Regards
shahab

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Review the hydraulics design for the kero stripper and also study the option of retraying the kero stripper to debottleneck. Multipass trays will help if the constraint is on liquid side handling ( high downcomer backup or high liquid gradient per pass).

normal design is 4500 bpsd kerosene and 12000 bpsd gas oil.
with some feeds we kerosene cut is 110000 bpsd and gas oil is 4500 bpsd.
kerosene stripper can,nt handle this large flowrate of liquid.

T think you have to avoid the feeds you know that causes the trouble. Another possibility is to increase the capacity of your kero stripper. I think your idea makes sense and maybe it can be possible. Put the question to the licensor of the unit.

good luck and regards

luis

It is definitely worth investigating if you can manipulate the feed and provide a condensate blend that will not have excessive amounts of any of the distillates - this would be the most effective way to combat against the problem as you will be tackling the cause instead of dealing with the consequences.

You also need to know why kerosene stripper is bottleneck. Is it due to draw-off nozzle cavitation? Excessive liquid loading? Jet flooding due to increased vapor flow? Excessive pressure drop in the stripper overhead line? It could be many things. Make sure you know where is the problem before you proceed forward. But as I said above, see if you can do something with the feed to the Unit - it could be the easiest way. Good luck.

There is no such thing as "common sense" - Apollo RCA

Thanks all.
I EXAMINED ALL CASES. TOWER HAS BEEN DESIGNED FOR 4500 BPSD . ID IS 1100 MM.THER IS NO ROOM FOR IMPROVMENT OF JET FLOODING, DC BACK UP .ETC..

Thanks all. The solution in my mind is to alocate existing gas oil stripper for kerosene and kerpsene stripper to gas oil.
Installation valving system for change over should be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back