Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

distillation trays 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesselai23

Chemical
May 3, 2011
US
When the number of tray for distillation column is determined in hysys design(e.g., 5), how many additional trays are added in the actual plant (5+2)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

wow, this is a huge question. You need to get a copy of Kister's Distillation book and scour the sections on tray efficiency, performance and on and on.

Depending on what the column is doing, you may need as much a 3X as many trays as you've estimated. Start by googling tray efficiency and then keep going. Read papers from the Distillation Group - there's a ton of info out there. Check GPSA, call a vendor, even better, try modelling the same tower to check actual efficiency.

What are you trying to do? designing a new column? troubleshooting or modelling an existing one? Is it a classroom exercise?

"We don't believe things because they are true, things are true because we believe them."

In any case, I would rely on Hysys outputs - but only at conceptual stage of the project. I would never establish my proposed design based on the results from Hysys/Tray sizing, or on any other commercially available tool.
For designing/revamping distillation columns, one needs to go to proper address: tray/packing vendors, such as Sulzer, Koch-Glitsch, ACS, etc.

"We don't believe things because they are true, things are true because we believe them."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back