Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Divide a projected curve ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

skanskan

Civil/Environmental
Jul 29, 2007
ES
Hi.

How can I apply "divide curve" to a curve created with "project curve"? (while working on a sketch).

For some unknown reason it seems it doesn't allow me to select that curve.

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
To my knowledge it wont work inside sketcher env. but could you please share the workflow you wish to follow (what exact output is required)
Best Regards
Kapil

The part history of the attached part says last saved in NX6.
The divide curve works in the NX8.5 sketcher. ( NX8.0 ?) - NX6 and NX7.5 cannot divide sketch curves.

Many small steps makes a mature system ...

Regards,
Tomas

Hi skanskan,

Have you tried Edit - Trim Recipe Curve?

[ol 1]
[li]Start with a partfile containing your Explicit Curve (the one outside the sketch).[/li]
[li]Create a Datum_Coordinate_System and choose the X/Y Plane to sketch on, using the Horizontal Axis as the Horizontal Reference.[/li]
[li]Project the Curve into the Sketch.[/li]
[li]Create a Line in the sketch anchored at the Origin of the Datum_CSYS and at an Angle (dimension) to the Horizontal Axis of the Datum Coordinate System. Ensure this Line intersects with the Projected Curve in your sketch.[/li]
[li]Trim the Curve using the Line as a Boundary. Identify which portion of the Projected Curve you wish to Keep or Discard.[/li]
[li]Project the Curve a second time and Trim that using the Same Boundary Line identifying which (alternative) side of the Boundary you wish to Keep or Discard.[/li]
[/ol]
You now have a SKETCH containing Two (connected) Trimmed Curves and a Boundary Line.
[ol 7]
[li]Finish the Sketch[/li]
[li]Suppress the Sketch Feature and Hide the original Curve.[/li]
[li]Unsuppress the Sketch Feature, so that you can see only the sketch.[/li]
[li]Try Extruding a Single Curve[/li]
[li]Try modifying the Angle to see how that affects the Extrusion.[/li]
[/ol]
Hope this helps?

NXHerbie
NX7.5

Hello.

Toost,
I created it quickly in a computer at work with NX6 but you can explain the divide curve for NX8.5 too, I can do it tomorrow in a different seat.

NXherbie,
That was similar to what I was doing, but I was looking for something simpler.

Regards.

In NX8.5, edit the sketch, then ( main menu) Edit - Curve - Divide - by bounding objects, pick the arc, pick the line as bounding object , indicate an approximate intersection point, then either Apply or select next bounding line + approximate intersection point.
But , since you asked me to explain, i now tried to divide / select the projected lines, and, no.

I guess that since the curves are sketch objects it's slightly more difficult to divide things than outside the sketcher since they should keep their associativity and then by the divide operation suddenly become multiple objects with associativity and potential constraints etc.

Regards,
Tomas

In NX6 you can divide a projected curve in the sketch but unfortunately you have to remove the assoiativity from the projected curve first otherwise it deletes the curve. In sketch if you go to Edit --> Curve --> All--> Divided curve it works the same as in NX8.5 as explained above.

Regards,
Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back