Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DIY Counterweight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Williams

Student
Aug 1, 2023
US
I am building my own counterweights to lift a 30" X 80" X 1/2" cabinet grade plywood panel. The counterweight needs to travel freely within a normal stud wall. I am thinking about using 3" iron pipe filled with Quikrete. I will utilize 1/4" vinyl coated cable with normal cable hardware and small pulleys to suspend the panel, and am planning on utilizing a counterweight system on both ends of the panel.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

think about how to stop/control the motion of the panel.

With the panel in the down position you could have a latch (between the panel and the wall) or you could crimp a sleeve on the weight cable (so the weight can go only so far up (and the table only so far down).

For the panel in the up position you could have a stop on the panel, or another crimped sleeve on the weight cable.

I am right in thinking you want the table to rotate from down (vertical) to up (horizontal) ?
or is the panel travelling vertically ?? (crimped sleeves would still work)

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

1/4th inch cable isn't particularly flexible for a project this scale.

I'd probably find a way to cap the pipe and use sand so I can adjust the weight to match the panel rather than committing to concrete.

Good ideas. Thank you for your help. Yes, the panel will be vertical in both positions. I ended up going to our local Metal Supermarket, and the expert was able to help me size solid pipe to the correct weight. When I installed it, I added a few washers to the cable to fine tune the weight. It turned out great. Thank you for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back